Mander Organ Builders Forum

A Queen in Distress by Gilbert Kennedy

Does anyone have access to a copy of Organists Review October 1971? I am particularly interested in the article 'A Queen in Distress' by Gilbert Kennedy which was written at the time of the Renovation of the Cavaille-Coll Great Organ in the Parr Hall.

==================

I shall have to have a dig, but I don't recall the article. The title "A queen in distress" is, of course, a follow up to another article "The Bracewell Queen," which details the history of the instrument and the fact that it was in a large house known as "Bracewell Manor" (I think), between Skipton (N Yorks) and Clitheroe (Lancs).

Nothing to do with the organ as such, but here is a remarkable and timely co-incidence, because Bracwell Manor was built in the 11 Century by the Tempest family of Broughton Hall, and only last week, the Halifax Organist's Association enjoyed a talk about the work of restoration and estate development at Broughton Hall.

This is all a bit like the song "The windmills of your mind"....."Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel: never ending or beginning, like an ever spinning reel."

MM

==================

I shall have to have a dig, but I don't recall the article. The title "A queen in distress" is, of course, a follow up to another article "The Bracewell Queen," which details the history of the instrument and the fact that it was in a large house known as "Bracewell Manor" (I think), between Skipton (N Yorks) and Clitheroe (Lancs).

Nothing to do with the organ as such, but here is a remarkable and timely co-incidence, because Bracwell Manor was built in the 11 Century by the Tempest family of Broughton Hall, and only last week, the Halifax Organist's Association enjoyed a talk about the work of restoration and estate development at Broughton Hall.

This is all a bit like the song "The windmills of your mind"....."Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel: never ending or beginning, like a half forgotten dream."

MM

Many thanks for that. I have tried the OR Archives without success. I also contacted Gilbert Kennedy's widow some months ago but she said she has moved house a few times and wasn't sure if she would be able to find Gilbert's article.

Many thanks for that. I have tried the OR Archives without success. I also contacted Gilbert Kennedy's widow some months ago but she said she has moved house a few times and wasn't sure if she would be able to find Gilbert's article.

======================

I do not believe what I have just done!!!!!!!!

I went upstairs, opened a cupboard, grabbed hold of a box of papers marked "Organ stuff" AND WITHIN 30 SECONDS, found the OR dated October 1971. What amazes me, is the fact that it was put in that box in 1971, and I don't think I've rifled through it since.

So you have your article. If you PM me with an e-mail address, I will scan it and send it as a file attachment.

It's a fascinating read.

MM

======================

I do not believe what I have just done!!!!!!!!

I went upstairs, opened a cupboard, grabbed hold of a box of papers marked "Organ stuff" AND WITHIN 30 SECONDS, found the OR dated October 1971. What amazes me, is the fact that it was put in that box in 1971, and I don't think I've rifled through it since.

So you have your article. If you PM me with an e-mail address, I will scan it and send it as a file attachment.

It's a fascinating read.

MM

Thanks very much, the Gods are smiling on us today!