Mander Organ Builders Forum

Reeds In The Grove

Lausanne

I am still trying to think of an instrument which is a synthesis of a Schultze chorus with FHW reeds - there must be one somewhere.

=====================

In this country, the closest you will get is Doncaster. Norman & Beard were outstanding reed voicers in their day, and if not "quite" Willis, the reeds at Doncaster are thoroughly English chorus reeds of high-quality.

I suspect that one would have to comb America to find out more.

MM

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

==========================

I don't have much option but to do this, but it sounds fine on the instrument I play.

The problem is usually a lack of an adequate pedal alternative without drawing couplers. Not many organs have the sort of pedal division with 10 rks of Mixtures such as one finds 'sur le continent', so we are reduced to the reeds as a way of defining the pedal line.

MM

This is fair enough - particularly since your instrument is, I believe, well-voiced. I would certainly not suggest refraining from playing Bach!

MM - do you have 8ft and 4ft flutes on the G.O.? (I assume at least the former.) How does it sound if you add either (or even both)? Also, what is the acousic like in the building?

This is fair enough - particularly since your instrument is, I believe, well-voiced. I would certainly not suggest refraining from playing Bach!

MM - do you have 8ft and 4ft flutes on the G.O.? (I assume at least the former.) How does it sound if you add either (or even both)? Also, what is the acousic like in the building?

========================

I am sure this will be of no interest to anyone, save for us "pcnd", but actually, the Great (well.....not so Great as Greats go), has a Rohrflute of enormous scale; rather like some of the baroque French or Netherlands ones. Interestingly, it blends perfectly with the 8ft 4ft IV rks and Sesqiultera II, and just adds body to the ensemble. Consequently, I use it with impunity, even for Bach etc.

I always feel slightly guilty about this, but as it sounds so good, I don't expect I should. I cannot recall anyone ever complaining about it!

The sole 4ft Flute is on t'other manual....a nice Koppel Flute which sort of isn't, because it has stoppers in addition to a tapered cap. It is actually tuned at the ears!

I think it's a bit of a con, but it's nevertheless a lovely flute. It doesn't do much for the Great when coupled through as part of the ensemble. I just use it where it sits, and only when I draw the 2ft Principal and 1.1/3 Quint and couple through, (our "ferz-werk"), do the 8 and 4ft Flutes of the Positif add a slight amount of body, which the bright upperwork needs if it is to stay in contact with mother Earth.

It's a bit similar to the Choir/Positif Organ at Blackburn, with similarly bold voicing, which really makes itself known when added at any dynamic level.

Personally, I would much prefer a 2ft Flute to the Quint; the latter having quite limited uses, apart from adding real "spike" to the full organ, (it runs to the top without a break). With a magnificent acoustic and around 3 sec of reverberation, the organ mellows considerably away from the console.

The acoustic is so good in fact, that it now quite sought after as a choral recording venue, and in the near future, there is a choral CD being released, thanks to the music staff of the Leeds RC Diocese.

MM

========================

I am sure this will be of no interest to anyone, save for us "pcnd", but actually, the Great (well.....not so Great as Greats go), has a Rohrflute of enormous scale; rather like some of the baroque French or Netherlands ones. Interestingly, it blends perfectly with the 8ft 4ft IV rks and Sesqiultera II, and just adds body to the ensemble. Consequently, I use it with impunity, even for Bach etc.

I always feel slightly guilty about this, but as it sounds so good, I don't expect I should. I cannot recall anyone ever complaining about it!

The sole 4ft Flute is on t'other manual....a nice Koppel Flute which sort of isn't, because it has stoppers in addition to a tapered cap. It is actually tuned at the ears!

I think it's a bit of a con, but it's nevertheless a lovely flute. It doesn't do much for the Great when coupled through as part of the ensemble. I just use it where it sits, and only when I draw the 2ft Principal and 1.1/3 Quint and couple through, (our "ferz-werk"), do the 8 and 4ft Flutes of the Positif add a slight amount of body, which the bright upperwork needs if it is to stay in contact with mother Earth.

It's a bit similar to the Choir/Positif Organ at Blackburn, with similarly bold voicing, which really makes itself known when added at any dynamic level.

Personally, I would much prefer a 2ft Flute to the Quint; the latter having quite limited uses, apart from adding real "spike" to the full organ, (it runs to the top without a break). With a magnificent acoustic and around 3 sec of reverberation, the organ mellows considerably away from the console.

The acoustic is so good in fact, that it now quite sought after as a choral recording venue, and in the near future, there is a choral CD being released, thanks to the music staff of the Leeds RC Diocese.

MM

Thank you 'MM' - some interesting information.