Mander Organ Builders Forum

Durufle Fugue On The Carillon Des Heures...

Malcolm Kemp

This piece is in 6/8 time yet the metromone marking is (undotted) crotchet equals 100. I tend to feel that dotted crotchet equals 100 goes better with the marking of Allegro Moderato yet I like the slower tempo (equating roughly to dotted crotchet equals approx 67. Probably I am happiest with a midway compromise. I know it is easy to follow what others do on recordings and I know you should take into account the building and the instrument but I whould be interested to hear what other Board members think. Is there a misprint?

Thanks

Malcolm

This piece is in 6/8 time yet the metromone marking is (undotted) crotchet equals 100. I tend to feel that dotted crotchet equals 100 goes better with the marking of Allegro Moderato yet I like the slower tempo (equating roughly to dotted crotchet equals approx 67. Probably I am happiest with a midway compromise. I know it is easy to follow what others do on recordings and I know you should take into account the building and the instrument but I whould be interested to hear what other Board members think. Is there a misprint?

Thanks

Malcolm

Having visited Soissons and heard the actual carillon I think dotted quarter=67 is a bit on the fast side.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you all the interesting comments above. As a matter of interest, does anyone know whether the theme played by the bells (the fugue subject) is orginal or whether it comes from a pre-existent melody, perhaps a French hymn tune or song? I've been unable to establish this from any other source and I tend to agree with James Frazier's book on Durufle that the edition of the fugue currently available is not terribly helpful or erudite.

Malcolm