Mander Organ Builders Forum

Visiting Leipzig

nachthorn

So, after a lot of trawling around on the internet for good deals, we're off to Leipzig in a couple of weeks for a short and highly musical break. Never been before, so it's something of a journey into the unknown. Visits to the Thomaskirche and Nicolaikirche are obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of hidden jewels in the city too. Have you been? What did you find compelling? Hints and tips gratefully received...

So, after a lot of trawling around on the internet for good deals, we're off to Leipzig in a couple of weeks for a short and highly musical break. Never been before, so it's something of a journey into the unknown. Visits to the Thomaskirche and Nicolaikirche are obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of hidden jewels in the city too. Have you been? What did you find compelling? Hints and tips gratefully received...

Never been in Leipzig? You should visit Auerbachs Keller, known from Goethe's Faust.

Cheers

tiratutti

The Gewandhaus and Opera House are both on the main Augustus Platz. If you have the former on your right, and latter the left, walk straight ahead to the left of the Post Office you will soon come to the fabulous three part Grassi Museum which comprises a Musical Instrument, Ethnographical and Applied Arts museums. Also there are many music places such as both the Schumann and Mendelssohn House museums, that for JS Bach is currently closed.

Well, if your wits survive the sheer bliss of hearing the Thomanerchor live, or the stunning organs, or the Gewandhausorchester, or the Oper, then the Schumannhaus and Mendelssohnhaus are well worth visits. Both within walking distance of the Gewandhaus and do-able in an afternoon. And any bars and markets you encounter en route! Rail station impressive too (if you're into that kind of thing).

University musical instrument museum is ace too.

Enjoy!

Ian

Do check what is happening in the exhibition halls. I happened to be attending a congress in one of them and went for a wonder in the other halls, where an exhibition of model hobbies was in progress. Now, this was a few years ago, but I've never seen such an array of model trains and planes, even remote control submarines in action. The halls were big enough for them to be flying model planes inside. I took some free catalogues home for my children.

There is also a subterranean complex that was part of the city walls, with restaurants, bars, live entertainment and so on.

I'm trying hard to picture it from a map, but failing. I'm sure it will all make sense when we get there... Thanks for the recommendations.

I think you already have most of the highlights. It's worth looking at the Thomaskirche website/newsletter for details of concerts etc, eg the organ recitals on Saturdays at 7.30 in July/August - Thomaskirche.

It's an easy enough city to find your way around in, all fairly compact. The restored station of 1909 with its 27 platforms is indeed vastly impressive with shiny new boutiques and eateries of all sorts. From there you can catch a train to Dresden in a about an hour, but that's another story.....

JS