Mander Organ Builders Forum

Help please - Gray & Davidson archives

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

I am currently trying to research the history of the organs of St Luke's church, Sevenoaks. The first instrument was originally built as a house organ (in Kippington) by Gray & Davidson in 1899. I have some photographs of the instrument as it was being dismantled, and it seems to have been a sizeable instrument - certainly for a house organ. It was removed by Ralph Arnold and replaced with a six rank extension organ. I am trying to get hold of the original stoplist and wonder if any of you have any idea how I can achieve this (archives etc). Alternatively, some of you may remember the organ, which was removed in the late 1960s/early 1970s. On one of the photos there are a few stops left in situ, and they read:

PEDAL

32 Contra Bourdon

16 Open Diapason

16 ?????

16 Lieblich Bourdon

??

??

??

Any information would be gratefully received.

Hector

Hi

The British Organ Archive hold Gray & Davison records - an e-mail to them might find the info that you want. See the BIOS web site for contact details.

Every Blessing

Tony

This is good news. Many years ago I worked for G & D, and was told by an 'old hand' that the then managers had destroyed many old drawings as being of no interest - something which he regarded as criminal. While they were of limited importance towards the end, they had been, as we know, a major builder in the past, and if these drawings were destroyed then much important information is lost for ever. I'm glad that some at least have survived.

Regards to all

John

This is good news. Many years ago I worked for G & D, and was told by an 'old hand' that the then managers had destroyed many old drawings as being of no interest - something which he regarded as criminal. While they were of limited importance towards the end, they had been, as we know, a major builder in the past, and if these drawings were destroyed then much important information is lost for ever. I'm glad that some at least have survived.

Regards to all

John

Hi

I don't know how much has survived. The destruction of records is an ongoing problem - and not just in the field of organ building.

Every Blessing

Tony