Mander Organ Builders Forum

Tomaš Močnik (organ builder)

DHM

Has anyone ever heard of Tomaš Močnik, organ builder in Cerklje (Slovenia)? I was recently made aware of this 3-year-old IIP/38 instrument in Velesovo, "inspired by the Thuringian baroque organs, particularly by the work of Zacharias Hildebrandt", and very fine it is, too. http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/velesovo/history.0.asp

Has anyone ever heard of Tomaš Močnik, organ builder in Cerklje (Slovenia)? I was recently made aware of this 3-year-old IIP/38 instrument in Velesovo, "inspired by the Thuringian baroque organs, particularly by the work of Zacharias Hildebrandt", and very fine it is, too. http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/velesovo/history.0.asp

========================

Slovenia indeed; due north of charming Ljubljana.

Never heard of the organ builder, unfortunately.

MM

Tomaž Močnik (actually "Orglarstvo Močnik") is one of the three "major" organ builders in Slovenia today. For a number of years he worked as a voicer for the Maribor Organ Workshop, but started his own business in the year 2000. He built some very interesting instruments and has recently been primarily focusing on the German Baroque as well as the French Romantic style. The organ in Velesovo is indeed a superb instrument, but there are also others that would deserve more attention. His current project is for a church in Höör, Sweden (click here for more info). Unfortunately, Mr. Močnik has no presentation of his company and his organs on the internet. One can still find some informationt, though, if you search in Google for "Močnik, orgle". This will, however, only result in a number of Slovenian websites, but will also lead you to some more photos.

Tomaž Močnik has a brother, Damijan Močnik, who is a renowned contemporary Slovenian composer.

Well, if Hauptwerk has come along and sampled one of his instruments (OK, I know it's not Hauptwerk per se that does the sampling but you get my point), I expect his work will become rather better known than it is already. Evidently someone thought this was a sufficiently exceptional new organ to warrant it being digitalised along with, umm Trost, Caen, St. Maximin etc etc. Quite a good advert I'd have thought.