Mander Organ Builders Forum

organs in Krakow

Classic car man

Hi Folks,

I seem to have ended up with three gigs in Krakow next june and wondered if anyone knows anything about the organs in:

St Peter and St Paul,

church of the ark in Nowa Huta

St Catherine of Alexandria,

thanks

A

========================

I wrote quite a big article about Poland and Polish organ-music some years back, but unofrtunately, it did not cover any of the instruments or venues you mention. Fuirthermore, there WAS a simply marvellous organ sit named "organyart.pl.," which had details of just about every organ of note in this quite large country, with pictures of some incredibly beautiful old organ cases juxstaposed with rows of dull communist pipe-racks from the bad years.

Unfortunately, it disappeared some time ago.

I may be able to find something, but I'm not sure that I will,

MM

========================

I wrote quite a big article about Poland and Polish organ-music some years back, but unofrtunately, it did not cover any of the instruments or venues you mention. Fuirthermore, there WAS a simply marvellous organ sit named "organyart.pl.," which had details of just about every organ of note in this quite large country, with pictures of some incredibly beautiful old organ cases juxstaposed with rows of dull communist pipe-racks from the bad years.

Unfortunately, it disappeared some time ago.

I may be able to find something, but I'm not sure that I will,

MM

=======================

Silly me! It was there all along, but I'd forgotten how to spell organy when I tried searching.

Anyways.....here is a link, which will need a bit of a quick briefing.

Go into the site, then click on 'instrumenty'....then click on 'K' towards the bottom and link to Krakow, where you will finjd details of 121 church organs and others.....I kid you not!

http://www.organy.ar....php?litera=K#w

Happy searching.

MM

PS: If you like pretty organ cases, try this in or near Krakow

http://www.organy.art.pl/instrumenty.php?instr_id=343

Incidentally, for anyone who admires the art & craft of organ-cases, the Polish web-site is a veritable treasure-store of simply mind-blowing beauty and ugliness; juxtopsed in the one site, and delivering an almost demographic and historical account of Poland's struggles and political upheavals.

Some of the old cases, (quite a lot of them), are staggeringly beautiful, and from the web-site, there's a wonderful source of computer wallpaper to be had.

Just to repeat, when you link to the site, click on 'instrumenty' then scroll down to the alphabetic city/town A - Z lisitng, which will open up a vast numnber of locations.

http://www.organy.ar...instrumenty.php

I wonder how many organs there are in Poland?

The total must be absolutely staggering, and some of them are of very great historical importance. J S Bach applied for a job there....they turned him down! :o

MM