Mander Organ Builders Forum

Stanley G Houlgate ATCL

Stanley Houlgate died in hospital at 7.10 this morning, having had a stroke on Thursday.

He was born in Kentish Town, north London, on 21st February 1912 but moved to Brighton when still young enough to become a choirboy at St Mary's Rock Gardens, Brighton, where the choirmaster was Samuel Baker in whose memory ARCO and FRCO prizes are now awarded. Stan eventually learnt to play the organ under Baker's instruction and he became organist successively in churches in Woodmancote, Steyning, Portslade and Brighton. For many years he was organist of St Anne's Brighton, where I was one of his choirboys for about five years, and when the future of St Anne's became uncertain he "returned home" to become organist of his beloved St Mary's where he stayed for many more years, resigning when he was well into his late nineties. A number of us attended his most enjoyable 100th birthday party in February this year.

His son, David Houlgate, who cared for his father so devotedly in his old age, is well known in the field of electronics, and especially in electronic an digital organs, and our sympathy is extended to both David and his friend Fr Michael Maine.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Voix Mystique

I had the good fortune to meet Stanley only a few weeks ago, on the day of the opening of the 'new' Wurlitzer at East Sussex National Hotel & Golf Course. I seem to recall that his expertise was needed to assist with some last-minute teething problems. He seemed a real gentleman. Would that I could have spent more time in his company and got him to talk me through his memories.