Mander Organ Builders Forum

Couperin Pièces d'Orgue

Mathrafal

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

I hope you will forgive my posting an advertisement but a number of you asked for information concerning my forthcoming publication of Couperin's Pièces d'Orgue, which will be made available on 1 July this year. 

This is the first critical edition of the music to have appeared in nearly forty years and is released to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the composer's birth. Details are found below, but I thought it worthwhile mentioning that, until 26 June, any pre-orders placed will receive a discount of 20%. 

I apologise again if this is inappropriate to mention the edition on these pages but thought forum members would like to benefit from the pre-order offer.

Jon

NEW CRITICAL EDITION OF
François Couperin’s two organ masses

Pre-order before the 25.6 and get 20% discount on the price. 
Order here: https://shop.cantando.com/WorkDetail/135579/

PIECES D'ORGUE
"The organ masses"
Catalogue price NOK 348,- (ex VAT). Euro 37

Consistantes en Deux Meßes l’Une à l’usage ordinaire des Paroisses, pour les Festes Solemnelles, L’Autre propre pour les Convents de Religiuex, et Religieuses.

François Couperin’s two organ masses were published in the autumn of 1690 when the composer was just 22 years of age. Although largely forgotten until the early years of the 20th century, they nevertheless mark a high point in the repertoire of French baroque organ composition that draws not only on the musical styles of his predecessor at Saint-Gervais, Louis Couperin, but also upon such popular contemporary musical genres as dance music, overtures and, above all, the sophisticated and lyrical intimacy associated with both the air de cour and concerted viol music. To mark the 350th anniversary of Couperin's birth, this new critical edition examines the background to the masses’ composition, reappraises both extant and lost source material and provides notes on performance practice, ornamentation and registration to help performers develop successful and stylistic interpretations. For the first time in an edition of French baroque organ music, the masses are provided appropriate chant settings to allow for their performance within a liturgical setting.

Edition by Jon Baxendale
Preface in English – Français
Cover photo: Ken Schwarz

Product information:
Edition no.: C4441

ISMN: 979-0-2612-4441-1

Composer / Author: Couperin, François
Title: Pièces d’orgue
Detailed instrumentation: Organ
Genesis of the work: 1690
Volume / Series: CANTANDO EARLY MUSIC
Editor: Jon Baxendale