Mander Organ Builders Forum

Tracker Action

Phil T

My harpsichord teacher (years ago) had very small hands but was still able to cope with most things, even piano pieces with left-hand tenths. I have no idea how this was achieved.

I have a friend who only has thumbs. The rest of his fingers stop at the first knuckle. Both hands.

He's still a very good pianist...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Sydney Opera House organ is said to be the largest tracker organ in the world, there are a couple of things about it which may mean it is not. To start with, all divisions are tracker action but all coupling is electric. Some pipework on off note chests (such as some pedal 32's notes in the facade and a few other ranks - perhaps the Kronwork Ophicleide?) are on electric action.  Mark Fisher who maintains the instrument now could tell you exactly what is what.  He has also made some ranks playable on more than one division. This is why the stop number is now 131 whereas it was originally 127.  I understand there are over 200 ranks.

I have heard that there is a larger 6 manual tracker organ in South Korea.  Perhaps someone can confirm this.  It may not have as many stops or ranks as Sydney.

As far as Sydney Town Hall is concerned, it is all pnuematic action with mechanical couplers, including Barker lever to the Great.  It is not a tracker organ. When it was restored, it was restored as it was built - it had never been changed over the years.

Thanks James for uploading my photos... ;)

Cheers,

Mark

=======================

Back up and running after a major dispute with my ISP, involving a telephone call to Prague billed at £188 !

Now I have no idea what action is involved, but I just wonder if the 6-manual organ that Zeich are building in Poland wouldn't qualify.

I suspect that it is really two organ; possibly each tracker, but with electrical action to a main console.

So I wonder, if TWO tracker organs are stitched together electrically from a main console, does it qualify as one organ or two?

MM

Easy! Both at once: two tracker organs and one electric. George Orwell, eat your heart out!

====================

Quite right Vox!

Both organs are equal, and one equals more than the other; but they both share the same party line, whilst working to a different set of principals.

MM