Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vox Humana 8'

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

I was impressed by your mother's website. She comes across as a very versatile and talented musician.

Do you play the organ? What do you like about the instrument? Do you play in churches yet?

Guest Vox Humana 8'

Hi Lee, are you talking about www.organum.org.uk ? If so, glad to hear you like it. It was all hand-coded in a text editor, so there is absolutely no more of it than there has to be, resulting in very quick page loading. No, I don't play the organ properly, though, wherever my mum goes, I will often fiddle around, basically improvising. However, I have forgotten how to read music. I got my Trinity Grade 1 Piano with about 75% marks - a Merit - before my 7th birthday. I then promptly had a blazing row with my mum and gave up. I tried to take the piano up again - at about Grade 3 level - when I was 12 and then my education came crashing down around me. Still, I hope that I can eventually learn to play the piano again and then progress to the organ.

Hi Lee, are you talking about www.organum.org.uk ? If so, glad to hear you like it. It was all hand-coded in a text editor, so there is absolutely no more of it than there has to be, resulting in very quick page loading.

Without wishing to be rude, if you want a hand with website design and coding, drop me a line - whilst the site above is functional, it's not a good advert in that I would expect anyone wishing to market themselves via a website and be taken seriously would make it look a touch more professional. See http://www.stephenfarr.co.uk and http://www.paulspicer.com for examples of what I mean.

As I said, I don't wish to be rude (for some reason you seem to have come under attack since joining the forum, I don't know why - I find it rather saddening), so please don't take it as yet another person having a go ; not my intent, this is a serious offer of assistance if you want it. That said, provided your site does what ( and looks how ) you want it to, then that's all that matters.

Guest Voix Mystique
Without wishing to be rude, if you want a hand with website design and coding, drop me a line - whilst the site above is functional, it's not a good advert in that I would expect anyone wishing to market themselves via a website and be taken seriously would make it look a touch more professional. See http://www.stephenfarr.co.uk and http://www.paulspicer.com for examples of what I mean.

As I said, I don't wish to be rude (for some reason you seem to have come under attack since joining the forum, I don't know why - I find it rather saddening), so please don't take it as yet another person having a go ; not my intent, this is a serious offer of assistance if you want it. That said, provided your site does what ( and looks how ) you want it to, then that's all that matters.

I agree it isn't all it could be: however, I would argue that, as a functional website, it works just as well, if not better, as the examples you have cited above. I don't like their visual style, which is (in Stepehn Farr's case) avantgarde, corporate and anonymous. I certainly don't like the pop-up windows on Paul Spicer's website.

Guest Lee Blick
I agree it isn't all it could be: however, I would argue that, as a functional website, it works just as well, if not better, as the examples you have cited above. I don't like their visual style, which is (in Stepehn Farr's case) avantgarde, corporate and anonymous. I certainly don't like the pop-up windows on Paul Spicer's website.

I like your website just as it is Voix Mystique. I am sure the more you do, the more you will develop your own website building style.

Glad you like it.

It seems rather a contradiction for a website to be simultaneously "avant garde" and "anonymous".

It seems rather a contradiction for a website to be simultaneously "avant garde" and "anonymous".

I assume (in addition) that the use of the word 'anonymous' was intended to refer to the style of the site.

Personally, I like Stevie's site - the design is suave, elegant and clear.