Mander Organ Builders Forum

I Confess

Guest Cynic

I can't find the topic now, since we were clearly on a nice side-track at the time, but I am rushing to correct an(other) earlier mis-statement. Issuing forth a typical pontification as usual, I commented upon the Compton at St.George's Cathedral Southwark. I asserted that the Great and Choir shutters had been removed when the firm of Ellis Scothon carried out major improvement works upon the instrument. These shutters were out when I last played, but upon chatting tonight to the very organ-builder who did the work, I gather that they are back in now - albeit the openings have been cleared somewhat and the ratio of shutter-opening has also been improved.

From now on, as if you were not all already doing so, please may I suggest that any statement I make now and in the future should be read as either In My Humble Opinion or correct to the best of my knowledge but with no other authority whatever? I would not deliberately post things I know to be untrue, I doubt if any of us would, but if I had to check up-to-date with some other authority any time anything came up on this board that I felt like commenting upon, I would be effectively struck dumb and my most valued link with the outside organ world would be lost to me. Otherwise I will vegetate even further beyond the reach of Civilisation here.

I can't find the topic now, since we were clearly on a nice side-track at the time, but I am rushing to correct an(other) earlier mis-statement. Issuing forth a typical pontification as usual, I commented upon the Compton at St.George's Cathedral Southwark. I asserted that the Great and Choir shutters had been removed when the firm of Ellis Scothon carried out major improvement works upon the instrument. These shutters were out when I last played, but upon chatting tonight to the very organ-builder who did the work, I gather that they are back in now - albeit the openings have been cleared somewhat and the ratio of shutter-opening has also been improved.

Thanks Paul, I can't find the original either at present. I am pleased to learn that the shutters have been re-instated and improved, putting the choir division back under expression.

JC

From now on, as if you were not all already doing so, please may I suggest that any statement I make now and in the future should be read as either In My Humble Opinion or correct to the best of my knowledge but with no other authority whatever?

===================

We already do that, but we're far too kind by nature to have said anything.

:P

MM

PS: An old gentleman once said to me, "So you're going to Hull, eh? You will have to go down to the docks and talk to the trawler crews. You'll get some nice fresh fish."

I replied, "I don't think going down to the docks saying, 'Hello sailor, how about a bit of cod?' is a terribly good idea.

:lol:

===================

PS: An old gentleman once said to me, "So you're going to Hull, eh? You will have to go down to the docks and talk to the trawler crews. You'll get some nice fresh fish."

I replied, "I don't think going down to the docks saying, 'Hello sailor, how about a bit of cod?' is a terribly good idea.

:lol:

Please explain, for the benefit of those of us less worldly than you....