Mander Organ Builders Forum

What Is Wrong With Hybrid Organs?

Guest spottedmetal

I'd like to hear this one

http://www.organy.art.pl/instrumenty.php?instr_id=225

SNIP

For those with nothing better to do between meals and gazing at the Mander Board, here is the link:-

http://www.organy.art.pl/

If you want "wallpaper" for your computer-screen, this is the site to visit, by clicking on "instrumenty" at the heading, when a full list of Polish places will appear.

MM

==========================

Indeed, it looks superb, and if the sound is as good, it will be impressive.

Being such a powerful Catholic stronghold, it's just amazing how much money has and is being spent on churches, basiliks, holy shrines and even organs in educational establishments; in spite of the fact that Poland has yet to achieve economic parity with Europe. (It's getting there).

Of course, the history is chequered, because in the west of Poland, where German influence was at its strongest, there was a very powerful move to "improve" organs in the German romantic style. This resulted in a lot of instruments being radically changed, when many of them derived from the 18th century. There was also considerable war-damage inflicted on many places, with tragic results for the organs and churches; not to mention the people.

However, rather than dwelling on the past, it is good to know that the country is rich in a large number of historic instruments and, without doubt, some extremely fine modern instruments. (St Jan Katedral, Warsaw, is a fine example).

One hears tell of stories concerning some very "iffy" organ-building during the communist years, when organs were "built" from piles of redundant parts and pipes, and somehow stitched together. Those days have now hopefully passed, and what seems to be emerging is a high-quality craft-industry with a flourishing organ-market.

It's a sobering thought, but in Wroclaw, it would be possible to have a whole month's international organ congress, and travel around by bus and tram, without ever having to leave the city.

Of course, it's not all roses by any means, and there are quite a lot of decrepit and even vandalised organs which remain silent.

There are some very sad examples among the listings of "organyart."

As for organ-cases, some of them are incredibly ugly, and if I can find it, there is one in the shape of a duck, complete with wings, head and a beak! (It's porbably meant to be a goose, which has national significance in Poland). Some of the more modern "functional" pipe-rack displays take ugliness to a new level.

However, some of the old organs have some of the most beautiful organ-cases ever made, and these are worth pouring over as visual masterpieces.

I must try and get there, and see things for myself.

MM

==========================

As for organ-cases, some of them are incredibly ugly, and if I can find it, there is one in the shape of a duck, complete with wings, head and a beak! (It's porbably meant to be a goose, which has national significance in Poland). Some of the more modern "functional" pipe-rack displays take ugliness to a new level.

MM

I think you may have meant this bird? I'd agree it was hideous, were it not for being 250 years old next year! Oh, but what an incredible specification!

Regał 8'

Cymbel 2x

Sedecyma 1'

Kwinta 1 1/3'

Flet kryty 4'

Oktawa 2'

Bourdon 8'

Pryncypał 4'

That website is incredible, and some of the Polish stopnames sound hilarious. Sadly the condition of many of the organs judging from the photos is pretty lamentable.