Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Cd Of Rolande Falcinelli's Music

giwro

Dear friends,

I have just received word from Sylviane Falcinelli that a new disc has been released of her mother's music. I had written her and promised to do whatever I could to promote the awareness of Rolande's music, so I copy below the information she sent:

~~~

NOUVEAUTÉ

Oeuvres de Rolande Falcinelli · (1920 – 2006)

AZÃN

Élise Battais –Flûte

Philippe Brandeis –Orgue

Cathédrale St-Louis des Invalides à Paris

De l’Orient à l’Occident, un parcours à travers l’œuvre de Rolande Falcinelli qui ouvrit de nouveaux horizons à l’orgue. Compositrice à part entière, elle nous emmène de l’Iran musulman (Azân pour flûte et orgue) aux mythes hindouïstes (Krishna Gopala pour flûte seule), et impose sa griffe aux facettes profanes et liturgiques de l’orgue.

La flûtiste Élise Battais et Philippe Brandeis - organiste titulaire à Saint-Louis des Invalides, instrument sur lequel furent créées maintes œuvres de Rolande Falcinelli, et au Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre, instrument dont elle fut titulaire - servent cette musique depuis de nombreuses années.

Azān pour flûte et orgue a été créé à Saint-Louis-des-Invalides.

Krishna-Gopala pour flûte seule, Cor Jesu Sacratissimum, Salve Regina, les études de l’Initiation à l’Orgue, constituent des premières discographiques. Le juvénile Triptyque Litanies, Rondel et Fugue, et le Cortège Funèbre complètent le programme.

TT: 66'43. Le disque est disponible dès octobre 2008.

~~~

The disc is available from Hortus - 2, rue Diderot 92600 Asnières (France) – E-mail : editionshortus@wanadoo.fr

It is new enough that my usual channels of distribution have not yet gotten it, but I imagine it will become available shortly.

If you wish to get it directly from Hortus, you can email them for the IBAN details.

I am excited to see this release - I especially love the Cor Jesu Sacratissimum - it is a wonderful set of variations (a favorite tool of Falcinelli) that goes through many moods. I am especially fond of Falcinelli's imaginative registrations in this piece.

If you love the rich and arresting sounds and harmonies of the Dupré school, you can't go wrong with this music. As I don't have the CD, I cannot speak yet to the performances, but being that it was produced with the blessing of the Composer's daughter and played by performers closely related to her, I think we can safely believe the music closely reflects what the composer might have wished.

Best regards,

- G

The score of Azân op.61 for flute and organ has also now been published by Schott (see here), as well as the organ works Le Sermon sur la Montagne op.46 (see here) and Poème en forme d'improvisation op.31 (see here).

If I am not mistaken, this means that Falcinelli's only organ work that remains unpublished are the four Poèmes-Études op.26.

Still Unpublished:

Morceau in D minor without Opus

Intermezzo in G major without Opus

I would hope to also see the remainder of her non-organ works published soon.

Best regards,

- G