Mander Organ Builders Forum

Humidifiers Again

David Coram

Evening all,

I'm a bit mystified about humidifiers and would be grateful for a couple of pointers -

1) In an organ with seperate HP and normal pressure divisions, is it usual for one humidifier to breathe through the lot via a non-return valve, or for two units to take a section each? (I ask because mine has two units, of which one is turned off at the mains and the water, and the HP section of the organ is cyphering like a lunatic.)

2) Are any correspondents willing to share their experiences of the few humidifier companies in the South (by PM if necessary) to assist me in making the right choice?

To overcome the absolutely dreadful ciphering, I've whacked the humidistats up to 65% (they were down on 50). Have I done wrong?

D

Evening all,

I'm a bit mystified about humidifiers and would be grateful for a couple of pointers -

1) In an organ with seperate HP and normal pressure divisions, is it usual for one humidifier to breathe through the lot via a non-return valve, or for two units to take a section each? (I ask because mine has two units, of which one is turned off at the mains and the water, and the HP section of the organ is cyphering like a lunatic.)

2) Are any correspondents willing to share their experiences of the few humidifier companies in the South (by PM if necessary) to assist me in making the right choice?

To overcome the absolutely dreadful ciphering, I've whacked the humidistats up to 65% (they were down on 50). Have I done wrong?

D

As there is presumably no mixing of high and low-pressure wind in your job, there would be one unit for each: if these are W&W units - D11s or D12s - the 'non-return' is achieved by a back-flap in the boxes to which the hoses are attached.

Turning up the humidistat on the unit that's running will just make that one run permanently at the present ARH (here in Liverpool today this is 36%) so it would still be running even if set to 50.

I'd suggest finding out why the high-pressure side has been disabled, but get it running again as soon as possible.

I'm happy to give you details of the firms we use David, give me a call.

DW

As there is presumably no mixing of high and low-pressure wind in your job, there would be one unit for each: if these are W&W units - D11s or D12s - the 'non-return' is achieved by a back-flap in the boxes to which the hoses are attached.

Turning up the humidistat on the unit that's running will just make that one run permanently at the present ARH (here in Liverpool today this is 36%) so it would still be running even if set to 50.

I'd suggest finding out why the high-pressure side has been disabled, but get it running again as soon as possible.

I'm happy to give you details of the firms we use David, give me a call.

DW

Interesting, and will do.

There are two humidistats; neither of them 'clicked on' until I got to 60%. I'd be astounded if that was an accurate reflection of the humidity within.

Have a look in Maplins or somewhere similar for a digital hygrometer so you can measure the humidity. - don't forget to put the thing inside the organ rather than just at the console - you will be amazed at the differences! Surely one humidifier unit with two outlets feeding LP and HP wind would have worked, as long as the backflaps are working properly? 60% is the setting I usually use. As DW said, first thing is to find out why your HP one has been turned off. It is also worth checking that there are bleed valves at the end of each wind run as otherwise the nice moist wind can't circulate properly.

Runnings and murmurs are a sure sign of humidity problems, ciphers less so, depending on the action - what action is it?

The humidifier in the smallish two manual (all normal pressure) Harrison in my church periodically makes a lot of noise for periods of perhaps one day, resulting in worried phone calls to me from Vicars &c., It had its regular service (by W&W) at the end of September and our tuner assures me that there is nothing to worry about. No easy access unless you clamber over the bellows and I have never been particularly agile at that sort of thing. I've never been aware of this sort of noise from a humidifier anywhere before; it sounds almost as if the organ blower is on (but it isn't).

Would anyone like to comment on this please?

Thanks

Malcolm