Mander Organ Builders Forum

Digging The Organ Out Of The Snow

bombarde32

Yes, folks, you read it right!

Turned up at a funeral today, (through much snow) started the organ and wondered why there was very little wind. Went round the back of the church to the blower shed to find it completely covered in snow. The air intake for the blower being completely blocked up too!

It's the first time I have ever had to dig an organ out of the snow!!!

Guest Echo Gamba
Yes, folks, you read it right!

Turned up at a funeral today, (through much snow) started the organ and wondered why there was very little wind. Went round the back of the church to the blower shed to find it completely covered in sonw. The air intake for the blower being completely blocked up too!

It's the first time I have ever had to dig an organ out of the snow!!!

A few (30+) years ago I turned up at church to hear an ominous dripping sound inside the organ. A blizzard had driven snow into the roof cavity over the organ, and it had melted, soaking the Great soundboard, which had to be dismantled and dried out, re-glued etc. Covered by insurance, but 3 months with only swell and pedal was a grim experience.

Last time we had heavy snow (? 2005 or 2006?) I had to be towed out of a field that served as a church car park, after a funeral, by one of the pall bearers who had arrived in a 4x4. I was not the only one he helped!