Mander Organ Builders Forum

Tuning

JERRY

Hi

First I would like to know what temperament Mander's tune their istruments to.

I gather from another thread that equal temperament is not liked.

How long does it take to train as a tuner, and how do you concentrate when there

are outside noises going on?

What is the usual method used for tuning pipes? I see that cone tuning is still used but I was told by a tuner that this way can cause a lot of damage over time.

Is it any more stable than slot or slide tuning?

Thanks

Jerry.

Guest Barry Oakley
Hi

First I would like to know what temperament Mander's tune their istruments to.

I gather from another thread that equal temperament is not liked.

How long does it take to train as a tuner, and how do you concentrate when there

are outside noises going on?

What is the usual method used for tuning pipes?  I see that cone tuning is still used but I was told by a tuner that this way can cause a lot of damage over time.

Is it any more stable than slot or slide tuning?

Thanks

Jerry.

I guess only John Mander can give you an accurate answer to the first part of your posting.

The question of temperament is rather a subjective matter. A great many organs are still tuned to equal temperament. Quite what the ratio is to unequal temperament I would not know, although I rather suspect that much of Mander's tuning is unequal.

As to how long it takes to train as a tuner I'm not sure. It's very much an acquired art as far as I am concerned and that was how it was explained to me by the legendary Jimmy Taylor who taught me the rudiments when I was a much younger man. I don't tune professionally but, if I am forgiven for blowing my own trumpet (or even tromba or tuba), I make a very acceptable job of things.

There is, I'm sure, no argument that cone tuning tends to be more stable, although there is the danger in the long term of pipe damage. There are still a number of builders of new instruments who continue with this method. But slide tuning is the most prevalent.

Extraneous noises, particularly those generated by vacuum cleaners, are a real pain. Yes, I once had cease tuning for 30 minutes because a lady church cleaner insisted on finishing the sanctuary carpet.