Mander Organ Builders Forum

Charles Tournemire, the GB connection

Jim Treloar

Just wondering if any member of this board can throw any light on a matter which has been discussed here in Chester recently, but with no conclusion. Apparently Tournemire's first wife, named Alice Taylor, was born in Chester, they married in 1903. The possibility being discussed is whether he ever actually came here, this has been mentioned to Roger Fisher, but he didn't know, in fact was unaware of the Chester connection. One fact which has come to light is that Tournemire's non-music library did finish up in Chester with somebody who had some sort of connection, in fact it is believed to be still here. If any one has any information I should be interested to hear it. It was coincidental that his second wife was also called Alice, as you probably know she came to St Albans up to the 1990s for the Tournemire prize at the festival.

Just wondering if any member of this board can throw any light on a matter which has been discussed here in Chester recently, but with no conclusion. Apparently Tournemire's first wife, named Alice Taylor, was born in Chester, they married in 1903. The possibility being discussed is whether he ever actually came here, this has been mentioned to Roger Fisher, but he didn't know, in fact was unaware of the Chester connection. One fact which has come to light is that Tournemire's non-music library did finish up in Chester with somebody who had some sort of connection, in fact it is believed to be still here. If any one has any information I should be interested to hear it. It was coincidental that his second wife was also called Alice, as you probably know she came to St Albans up to the 1990s for the Tournemire prize at the festival.

=============================

I had a quick dig around on the internet, but not being into French music much at all, I knew I wouldn't have much success.

The only clue I camer up with, is a reference to the following:-

Simeone, Nigel: "Dear Maître Tournemire" – Charles Tournemire's Correspondence with Felix Aprahamian and his Visit to London in 1936 (Bangor Monographs in Musicology, 2003).

If these are in Bangor, that's not a million miles away from Chester.

MM

Thanks for that Muso, I was aware of Tournemire's visit to London in 1936. from questions asked of people "in the know" that appears to be the only visit he made to the UK, which also begs the question: How did he know a girl from Chester on 1903?. Bangor University has a very good music department of course, led for many years by William Mathias.