Mander Organ Builders Forum

Peter Hurford

Mark Taylor

I am currently helping Peter’s son-in-law to compile a list of commercial recordings of Peter’s compositions. It would be very useful if anyone who knows of any recordings could let me know and I can pass the information on.

We are particularly interested in currently available recordings of compositions for choir, but information on any recordings, including any now deleted would be of interest (we have details of the recordings on Priory).

I am currently helping Peter’s son-in-law to compile a list of commercial recordings of Peter’s compositions. It would be very useful if anyone who knows of any recordings could let me know and I can pass the information on.

We are particularly interested in currently available recordings of compositions for choir, but information on any recordings, including any now deleted would be of interest (we have details of the recordings on Priory).

Hi - I have two old ones but I imagine that you will already be aware of them: one is choral music by Maurice Greene with the St Albans Abbey Chor; and the other is organ music only, (St Albans) with Franck, Bossi etc.

Thanks for your post JOR, but (and I’m really sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post) it is recordings of Peter’s compositions rather than performances that we are looking for. That said, yes I do have the LP of Greene’s choral music and very enjoyable it is!

I am also grateful to another member of this board who has sent me details of recordings on Herald, Lammas and Hyperion.

In addition have traced a couple of recordings from Radio 3’s Choral Evensong: the introit: Through Christ Jesus ... from Liverpool in May 2005, and a setting of psalm 93 from Ely in February 2007.

It could be that there is not much else around(?)

I have an old and well worn out LP of Norwich Cathedral Choir, directed by Brian Runnett, which contains his Litany to the Holy Spirit.

Norwich Cathedral Choir sings Twentieth-Century Choral Music

Cathedral Recordings Limited

CRL 758

There is no date on either the record label or the sleeve, but both also credit "Graham Barber (organ)", which should narrow it down a bit.

Thanks for your post JOR, but (and I’m really sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post) it is recordings of Peter’s compositions rather than performances that we are looking for. That said, yes I do have the LP of Greene’s choral music and very enjoyable it is!

I am also grateful to another member of this board who has sent me details of recordings on Herald, Lammas and Hyperion.

In addition have traced a couple of recordings from Radio 3’s Choral Evensong: the introit: Through Christ Jesus ... from Liverpool in May 2005, and a setting of psalm 93 from Ely in February 2007.

It could be that there is not much else around(?)

Sorry, Mark, you did make it very clear that it is recordings of PHs compositions you are after. So a second try (and perhaps you are aware of these): 'Peter Hurford at St Albans' (ARGO 1975) includes him playing his own Suite "Laudate Dominum". I also have recordings that include the popular "Litany to the Holy Spirit" by various choirs, eg Ripon Cathedral c. 1980.