Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organists' Review May 2006 p8

Has anyone got the Organists' Review, May 2006? I am particularly interested in page 8 which deals with the additional work done to Cavaille-Coll Great Organ in the Parr Hall Warrington.

I have just had a look at this. It states that work carried out by the firm of Willis (in 1972)

'left the specification and console mostly intact, but the barker-lever [sic] mechanism (in need of restoration but working according to contemporary witnesses) was removed and replaced with electric action. The console was lowered and other changes were made which compromised the organ's original character. At the time of writing, the condition of this important and unique instrument is precarious and its future in doubt. However, the potential exists for an informed full-scale restoration with a new barker-lever [sic] action that would ensure its fame worldwide.'

No other details were given.

I have just had a look at this. It states that work carried out by the firm of Willis (in 1972)

'left the specification and console mostly intact, but the barker-lever [sic] mechanism (in need of restoration but working according to contemporary witnesses) was removed and replaced with electric action. The console was lowered and other changes were made which compromised the organ's original character. At the time of writing, the condition of this important and unique instrument is precarious and its future in doubt. However, the potential exists for an informed full-scale restoration with a new barker-lever [sic] action that would ensure its fame worldwide.'

No other details were given.

Thanks very much, I looked at the NPOR for detail and thought that the 2006 ref. to Organists' Review referred to work done but 'further stop notes added' was a ref. to amended stop lists. Incidentally we have been successful in asking the Parr Hall Management to promote a Recital to mark the Bi-Centenary of the Birth of Aristide Cavaille-Coll. Roger Fisher and Benjamin Saunders have kindly said they will play and the programme will include music of those composers who were inspired by the 'symphonic' organs of Cavaille-Coll. The recital is on Friday, 17th June, 2011 at 7.30pm (Parr Hall, Warrington)

Have you by any chance got Organists' Review, August 1998, p231 it refers to 'restoration work completed' on this Great Organ.

Many thanks.

Thanks very much, I looked at the NPOR for detail and thought that the 2006 ref. to Organists' Review referred to work done but 'further stop notes added' was a ref. to amended stop lists. Incidentally we have been successful in asking the Parr Hall Management to promote a Recital to mark the Bi-Centenary of the Birth of Aristide Cavaille-Coll. Roger Fisher and Benjamin Saunders have kindly said they will play and the programme will include music of those composers who were inspired by the 'symphonic' organs of Cavaille-Coll. The recital is on Friday, 17th June, 2011 at 7.30pm (Parr Hall, Warrington)

Have you by any chance got Organists' Review, August 1998, p231 it refers to 'restoration work completed' on this Great Organ.

Many thanks.

Hi

It looks like one of my NPOR colleaugues got the reference wrong! p.231 is in the August1998 edition - it's simply a note which says:- "Warrington's Cavaille-Coll. Restoration work on the historic Cavaille-Coll organ in the Parr Hall Warrington has recently been completed at a cost of £40,000. There has been a considerable increase in interest in this instrument in the last few years, very largely as a result of the enthusiasm of the Supporters Group and of Nick Shaw who is on the staff of the Hall itself. Recent audiences have totalled 200 or more. Call Nick Shaw on 01925 643958 for a free brochure, or look at the advertisement on page 280." The advert referred to is for "Celebrity Organ Recitals" at the venue.

The later update on NPOR that you mention, if it says "added stop notes", then the stop list won't have changed, but the additional information (3rd column on the stop list) will have - it was probably me that dealt with that update.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

It looks like one of my NPOR colleaugues got the reference wrong! p.231 is in the August1998 edition - it's simply a note which says:- "Warrington's Cavaille-Coll. Restoration work on the historic Cavaille-Coll organ in the Parr Hall Warrington has recently been completed at a cost of £40,000. There has been a considerable increase in interest in this instrument in the last few years, very largely as a result of the enthusiasm of the Supporters Group and of Nick Shaw who is on the staff of the Hall itself. Recent audiences have totalled 200 or more. Call Nick Shaw on 01925 643958 for a free brochure, or look at the advertisement on page 280." The advert referred to is for "Celebrity Organ Recitals" at the venue.

The later update on NPOR that you mention, if it says "added stop notes", then the stop list won't have changed, but the additional information (3rd column on the stop list) will have - it was probably me that dealt with that update.

Every Blessing

Tony

Thank you very much Tony, It is interesting to see that audience numbers were so good then and such a pity that over the next few years audience numbers decreased considerably. Regrettably, that is one of the reasons Warrington Borough Council sought to dispose of the organ.