Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mlle Renee Nizan

Malcolm Farr

Reading Robert Ampt's book on the Sydney Town Hall organ, I noticed a section - only half a page - about the 1938 tour of Australia by the young French organist, Renee Nizan. I recall my father, many long years ago, talking about her with awe, although I cannot now recall if he heard her then in Sydney (where he would have been at that time) or earlier in England or Europe. He thought she was absolutely the "ant's pants", "bee's knees", and all those wonderful things rolled into one.

Mr Ampt refers to a book or publication, which I currently have no way of accessing, namely Un Ete Precoce: Rene Nizan (1913-1945) by Etienne Delahaye, Toulouse: Orgues Meridionales, 1999. I have looked on the Internet for any information about Mlle Nizan, but haven't been able to find anything. (This is very surprising, as I thought the Internet had information on everything good, bad or indifferent, and that it could (anut td would) be located whether or not one wanted to find ...)

Has anyone out there heard of Mlle Nizan? Have any information about her?

Regards

Malcolm F

Guest Geoff McMahon

If you go to the advanced search option in Google and type in "Renée Nizan" with the accents, you will get quite a few leads, mostly in French.

John Pike Mander

Thanks John. For some reason, I can't type accented letters directly into search engine queries, although I've now found a back door method that seems to work. Interestingly, I'd done searches for others whose names properly include accents (but without actually including them), and retrieved quite a lot of webpages. I'd assumed that the accents weren't necessary - although I now expect that performing the same searches with accents would bring up even more entries!

Regards

Malcolm F