Mander Organ Builders Forum

W. Johnston & Co Of Bristol

Vox Humana

A colleague who plays at a Methodist church in Plymouth has been researching the history of his organ. He has discovered from the church's archives that it was originally built in 1906 by W. Johnston & Co of Bristol.

There is no record of this firm (or any other Johnston) on NPOR and I am wondering whether a mistake has been made. NPOR does list a William Johnson who did some work on St Mary, Over, Cambridgeshire, in 1946 and a Walter Johnson who rebuilt the IIIP Willis at St Hilary, Wallasey, Cheshire, in 1903, but neither of these seems likely to be a Bristol firm.

The obvious candidate would seem to be George Johnson who was responsible for several organs in Bristol and north Somerset (and also St Osmund's, Parkstone, Poole) between 1887 and 1913.

Can anyone shed any light?

A colleague who plays at a Methodist church in Plymouth has been researching the history of his organ. He has discovered from the church's archives that it was originally built in 1906 by W. Johnston & Co of Bristol.

There is no record of this firm (or any other Johnston) on NPOR and I am wondering whether a mistake has been made. NPOR does list a William Johnson who did some work on St Mary, Over, Cambridgeshire, in 1946 and a Walter Johnson who rebuilt the IIIP Willis at St Hilary, Wallasey, Cheshire, in 1903, but neither of these seems likely to be a Bristol firm.

The obvious candidate would seem to be George Johnson who was responsible for several organs in Bristol and north Somerset (and also St Osmund's, Parkstone, Poole) between 1887 and 1913.

Can anyone shed any light?

Hi

Go to http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/ESearch.cgi? and scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you'll find a firm of organ builders called JOHNSON active in Briston 1881-1919.

There are also a number of Johnstons listed - but known in the Bristol area.

You need to be wary of alternative spellings and spelling mistakes - computers don't have the intelligence that human beings have, and if you get one letter wrong the server won't find anything.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Lee Blick
computers don't have the intelligence that human beings have

Been thinking that of musicphobic ministers for years.... :)

(comment NOT aimed at you Revd. Newnham)

Thanks, Tony, but all I get on your link is a "This script needs a function" message.

I did try querying for builders named "Johnson" and with the keyword" Bristol". Is that what you had in mind?

Edit: Ah, you meant the DBOB tab, didn't you?

Thanks, Tony, but all I get on your link is a "This script needs a function" message.

I did try querying for builders named "Johnson" and with the keyword" Bristol". Is that what you had in mind?

Edit: Ah, you meant the DBOB tab, didn't you?