Mander Organ Builders Forum

Repertoire

AJJ

I play this instrument a couple of times a year for services - most of the rest of the time the regular musician uses a piano.

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N18290

The organ works but is in a bit of a dire state and the parish is aware of its value etc. - it was built 'as a piece' with the building and furnishings etc. As can be seen from the NPOR entry at least two reputable builders have reported on it and BIOS has visited and endowed a certificate. What I can't work out is what would have been played on it 'repertoire wise' - would it have just been put in as a hymn machine or would there have been specific music that would have worked with the odd collection of TC stops, pedal permutations etc.in mind? Any thoughts?

AJJ

Interesting pedal compass. No Great Organ either! Fascinating.

I guess anything by Samuel or Charles Wesley ought to work. At least the few pieces by them that I know ought to do so. Even SSW's Choral Song [and Fugue] would seem to fit. I guess if a contemporary organist had wanted to play the piano section of the first movement on the (originally tenor C) swell, he would have had to keep the left hand on the Choir with a reduced registration. Maybe that might actually make sense of the octave doublings at this point.

We have an organ nearby with a similar stoplist, although a little more developed with larger compass pedals. Strangely the Great is also called Choir, but still has the power of a normal Great organ - unusually with an undulant stop as well. Well worth a visit.

This is the NPOR address http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D00299.

This is interesting - I had not come across it before. Next time we are over that way (apart from heading for the ferry!) I shall try and get a look. Thanks.

Interesting pedal compass. No Great Organ either! Fascinating.

I guess anything by Samuel or Charles Wesley ought to work. At least the few pieces by them that I know ought to do so. Even SSW's Choral Song [and Fugue] would seem to fit. I guess if a contemporary organist had wanted to play the piano section of the first movement on the (originally tenor C) swell, he would have had to keep the left hand on the Choir with a reduced registration. Maybe that might actually make sense of the octave doublings at this point.

Voluntary for tomorrow sorted - thanks VH!

AJJ