Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Neo Baroque Organ Of Cleveland Lodge

DouglasCorr

Lady Susi Jeans had a small neo baroque organ in her study at Cleveland Lodge, Boxhill, that was installed in the 1930s.

As a school boy I cheekily invited myself to see it on the pretext that it was only about 14 miles walk from our school's summer camp... She most kindly allowed my visit and showed me the organ (but didn't play it) and said I could play on the larger organ that belonged to Sir James in her concert room.

Twenty or so years later I went to several of the Boxhill Festival meetings/concerts held at Cleveland Lodge - where her colleagues, students, and musicologist friends made interesting presentations and recitals. But the small organ was never played.

I wondered if anyone ever head it and what it sounded like? Why wasn't it used? What has happened to it now? I understand that the RSCM is no longer at Cleveland Lodge, and the house is to be or is being converted for residential use.

Lady Susi Jeans had a small neo baroque organ in her study at Cleveland Lodge, Boxhill, that was installed in the 1930s.

As a school boy I cheekily invited myself to see it on the pretext that it was only about 14 miles walk from our school's summer camp... She most kindly allowed my visit and showed me the organ (but didn't play it) and said I could play on the larger organ that belonged to Sir James in her concert room.

Twenty or so years later I went to several of the Boxhill Festival meetings/concerts held at Cleveland Lodge - where her colleagues, students, and musicologist friends made interesting presentations and recitals. But the small organ was never played.

I wondered if anyone ever head it and what it sounded like? Why wasn't it used? What has happened to it now? I understand that the RSCM is no longer at Cleveland Lodge, and the house is to be or is being converted for residential use.

It is currently being prepared by Nicholsons for installation at the Birmingham Conservatoire.

Guest Barry Williams

Only the portico and new staircase behind it remain. The rest of Cleveland Lodge is no more. It has been demolished.

The Eule organ was superb, though the tuning when I heard it during the RSCM's residence left much to be desired.

Does anyone know what happened to Lady Jeans two manual and pedal harpsichord?

Barry Williams

Thanks for that - interesting specification - but probably too loud for the player with the mixture and upper work.

Similar comments have been made on the Message Board before - that you really don't want anything higher than 2 ft for a house organ. Even though Lady Jeans study was enormous - for the player the pipes are right in front of you. At home my 2 ft has only tiny holes in the pipe feet for the air - and it's loud enough.

It's still a puzzel why I never heard it played on about the 8 occassions when I was there. That's why I wondered if any one heard it played.

Guest Barry Williams
Thanks for that - interesting specification - but probably too loud for the player with the mixture and upper work.

Similar comments have been made on the Message Board before - that you really don't want anything higher than 2 ft for a house organ. Even though Lady Jeans study was enormous - for the player the pipes are right in front of you. At home my 2 ft has only tiny holes in the pipe feet for the air - and it's loud enough.

It's still a puzzel why I never heard it played on about the 8 occassions when I was there. That's why I wondered if any one heard it played.

I agree that on a House Organ one rarely needs even a two feet stop. However, this was some house! I played the organ many times and never found it harsh or shrill, despite having no sympathies with the neo-baroque. The organ was rather fine.

Barry Williams

I agree that on a House Organ one rarely needs even a two feet stop. However, this was some house! I played the organ many times and never found it harsh or shrill, despite having no sympathies with the neo-baroque. The organ was rather fine.

Barry Williams

Thanks - I was unlucky not to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks - I was unlucky not to hear it.

I was lucky enough to visit Cleveland Lodge in the days when Lady Jeans was still resident. I'd gone as a BBC Outside Broadcast engineer to record her playing a harpsichord recital produced for Radio Three by Basil Lam. It was a great day out and she was a most charming host. I remember the organ in her study as being very loud and aggressively top-heavy and it seemed even worse when I went back years later and played it in the RSCM days. A good example - as others have said - as to why it is not sensible to have mixtures on house organs.