Mander Organ Builders Forum

Why Bother?

Peter Clark

Guest Barry Williams
Twice recently I have been questioned as to why I feel the need to practise the organ. The first time was by a priest, incredibly, who said that since I played the same sort of stuff every week why did I need to rehearse?

The second thought that now I had learned how to play the organ there was no need for me to carry on learning, invoking the "riding a bike" analogy.

Do you get similar criticism?

Peter

This sort of remark also gives rise to the comment that organists do not need to be paid because they are merely using 'God given talent'. Who pays for the organ lessons necessary to convert the 'God given talent' into useable skills?

Barry Williams

This sort of remark also gives rise to the comment that organists do not need to be paid because they are merely using 'God given talent'. Who pays for the organ lessons necessary to convert the 'God given talent' into useable skills?

Barry Williams

Unlikely to be the person making that sort of observation who pays - for services or lessons!

But not everyone's like that, some value these skills, wouldn't you say? See earlier dialogue.

R.

Twice recently I have been questioned as to why I feel the need to practise the organ. The first time was by a priest, incredibly, who said that since I played the same sort of stuff every week why did I need to rehearse?

The second thought that now I had learned how to play the organ there was no need for me to carry on learning, invoking the "riding a bike" analogy.

Do you get similar criticism?

Peter

When a parishioner said that to me once they explained, quickly, that it had been intended as a compliment. They simply meant that they felt there was no need for any further improvement.

Guest Barry Williams
Unlikely to be the person making that sort of observation who pays - for services or lessons!

But not everyone's like that, some value these skills, wouldn't you say? See earlier dialogue.

R.

The only people I have every heard say that organists need not be paid because they are using 'God given talent' are the clergy and they have all come from one particular type of churchmanship.

Thankfully, not all are like that. My earlier posts on another thread gave several splendid examples of appreciation. Also, I have learned recently of one cleric who has set up a proper pension scheme for his organist. Folk like that make it worthwhile, but the job can change overnight when a new incumbent arrives.

Barry Williams

Thankfully, not all are like that. My earlier posts on another thread gave several splendid examples of appreciation. Also, I have learned recently of one cleric who has set up a proper pension scheme for his organist. Folk like that make it worthwhile...

Barry Williams

It's just a pity that sometimes they can be almost as rare as hen's teeth!

The only people I have ever heard say that organists need not be paid because they are using 'God given talent' are the clergy and they have all come from one particular type of churchmanship.

=======================

Yes, and the only people I have ever heard say that THEY should be paid, have been other clergy.

These people would last about 90 seconds in industry or commerce!

MM

It's bad enough when clergy don't understand the amount of work that we do. What do you do when the organ player on the sub-committee setting the recommended rates for one of the main stream churches in my state in Australia has that attitude?

I am paid close to a full-time salary, and the way the church musicians' grapevine works in Australia, I assume that most of my colleagues have some inkling of this. Their reactions is informative. This sub-committee member has asked me, twice, what I do with the rest of my time as it must only take me ten minutes to prepare the organ music for a Mass. I was asked by another colleague to allow myself to be nominated for a committee as I must have so much more free time, now.

On the other hand, I've been asked for advice by the DoM of another church, with the recognition that he has been seriously undervaluing his services. I've also received comments from a few people who recognize that if we are to attract a new generation of people capable of filling DoM roles, that the work needs to be remunerated competitively. Members of the defense force bands and the symphony orchestras in this country are paid salaries that are well above average, for performing less than many of our church musicians.