Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gray & Davison

Jonathan Lane

Does anyone know when Gray & Davison ceased trading. I came across a reference on All Hallows Twickenham website which states the cleaned their organ in 1976, although NPOR suggests this date was 1967. Is this just a slip one way or the other. Any further information gratefully received! Thanks.

Jonathan :rolleyes:

Guest Barry Oakley
Does anyone know when Gray & Davison ceased trading. I came across a reference on All Hallows Twickenham website which states the cleaned their organ in 1976, although NPOR suggests this date was 1967. Is this just a slip one way or the other. Any further information gratefully received! Thanks.

Jonathan :rolleyes:

The NPOR would suggest that G&D existed until around 1973.

I worked for Gray and Davison until 1968, then for HNB. I believe they went into liquidation a couple of years later.

Kingsgate Davidson were, as already said, unconnected. There was a Mr. Davidson, but Kingsgate was derived from their location, nr. Kings Cross station. A fellow employee of HNB, formerly of KD, told me that if they had an unwelcome 'phone caller, they were put through to 'Mr. Kingsgate' - ie, whoever was free to talk at the time.

Hmm.

Regards to all

John