Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bbc Songs Of Praise - Rant Alert (or Never Try And Con An Organist) While

Guest Hector5

There's a reason for everything, Hector! The SofP on 'The Organ' was commissioned as an 'archive' programme (i.e. a very low-budget show where the music items have already been used for previous programmes, but are now being re-used with a completely new editorial). The St Seps Harrison broke down completely - without warning - literally the day before 'Jerusalem' was recorded (for an Songs of Praise on St Sepulchre's Church which transmitted in February last year), and a digital organ had to be brought in overnight or the whole enterprise would have had to be postponed at the cost of many thousands...all the camera positions and lighting had been rigged with the (immovable) Harrison in shot, and so the organist had to do the whole sound recording on the movable electronic; followed by playback 'vamping' on the Harrison, thereby avoiding disaster!

When filming for the Organs programme, the Harrison got a temporary repair, getting back on its feet just long enough for Huw to demonstrate a few stops and play a few bars of the Songs of Praise theme tune. So that's why the fact that the church also had an electronic organ was made clearly visible in one of the shots, and there was deliberately no reference to using the Harrison when introducing the hymns.

Ingenious!

AJJ

Guest Hector5

I've given up on the beeb, and bought a Logitech Squeezebox - a 'wifi radio tuner' that plugs into my amp and allows access to several thousand internet radio stations, including Organlive (organ music 24x365, with NO presenters) Choirboys and Trebles (choral music 25x365 with NO presenters), Sacred Choral Music, (you get the idea) Choral Treasure etc.

Go and have a look at www.live365.com - and this is only a tiny fraction of what's out there on the net.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I toddled off to PC World to get an internet radio based on your advice. Wow - this has revolutionised my life. No more watching Family Guy re-runs on Sky (I'm 48!!!) - I've actually been stuck in the study going through the simply thousands of channels. Setup, simply a doddle. Oh - if you can't afford the Squeezbox, go for the Logik internet radio (retails for around £44) as it seems to work on all formats, including the beeb - even the listen again service. The sound quality is simply superb. Avoid the Freecom job (more expensive) as they appear to be light years away in acceptable formats. One real find was 'Goon Show Radio'....................Hector

I think I'll sign off now as I'm in danger of becoming a little bit of a geek!!!!

Hector

One real find was 'Goon Show Radio'....................Hector

==============================

Good heavens!

I'm walking backwards to Christmas to buy one. I can't wait to sing along to the "Ying Tang song."

I don't know why, but I suddenly thought of that wonderful cartoon by Spike Milligan, showing a grave, on the headstone of which was carved, "I told you I was ill."

:blink:

MM

Guest Hector5
==============================

Good heavens!

I'm walking backwards to Christmas to buy one. I can't wait to sing along to the "Ying Tang song."

I don't know why, but I suddenly thought of that wonderful cartoon by Spike Milligan, showing a grave, on the headstone of which was carved, "I told you I was ill."

:blink:

MM

Funnily enough, I was talking to my choir about what I want on my gravestone when I die. I told them that I heard the late Willie Rushton once say that he would like the word 'DISCONTINUED' engraved on his headstone - and so would I!!!!!

Hector

Thanks for mentioning this- I had vaguely heard of SlimServer, but downloading it and playing with a software-only squeezebox convinced me that I would find it very useful indeed! As a result of a quick trip to PC World today, I am also now a member of the Squeezebox owners' club- works very well, though I'm still trying to get the box to talk to Live365. As I write this, I have found Radio Notre Dame (Paris), and the Credo 3 live from the Evening Mass- just onto the Offertoire now, but I don't know who's playing tonight...

I listen to a number of Internet audio streams on my work PC. For those who have done this and then bought a dedicated Internet radio, what were the advantages? Between my work PC, dedicated media PC that I use for recording and playing back TV, the PC that acts as my Web server, my experimental Linux PC and at least one PC for each member of my family, I'm somewhat reticent to acquire yet another piece of hardware unless there are some very compelling advantages.

Saves on the heating in winter, though. :blink:

This is one of the things I love so much about this discussion board..........click on a post about Songs of Praise, and pick up loads of information about media streaming devices! Long may it continue....

One station I listen to through my Pinnacle streamer is OrganLive.

Excellent....wall-to-wall organ music with links to buy the CD or download the track too.

Richard

For those who have done this and then bought a dedicated Internet radio, what were the advantages?

In my case, the remote control and the output to the lounge (PC free zone in our house) hifi, but if you're streaming there already from a media PC this may not add anything.