Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Classic French Organ

Pierre Lauwers

I just found this excellent Website, dedicated to a beautiful

18th century french organ at Guibray:

http://www.aristote.asso.fr/guibray.html

Click on "écouter l'orgue et son répertoire".

You get then the first page, and go to the next with the arrow pointing

to the right.

There are dozens of pieces, all featuring authentic registrations.

Pierre

I just found this excellent Website, dedicated to a beautiful

18th century french organ at Guibray:

http://www.aristote.asso.fr/guibray.html

Click on "écouter l'orgue et son répertoire".

You get then the first page, and go to the next with the arrow pointing

to the right.

There are dozens of pieces, all featuring authentic registrations.

Pierre

I have just listened to the Basses et Dessus de Trompette (Clerambault) from this site hasving, a moment ago, seen a YouTube extract of Daniel Roth playing the same piece at St Sulpice. Roth uses a trompette in the right hand when the tune is in the right hand, but the person playing from Guibray doesn't. Who is correct?

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I have just listened to the Basses et Dessus de Trompette (Clerambault) from this site hasving, a moment ago, seen a YouTube extract of Daniel Roth playing the same piece at St Sulpice. Roth uses a trompette in the right hand when the tune is in the right hand, but the person playing from Guibray doesn't. Who is correct?

My download from this site was Trompette in the cellar and also in the attic - sounding as per the title.

As for who might be right or wrong - there in some instances can be no real hard and fast rules. For instance it is quite possible to use a strong Cornet on the Récit for the right hand if the trebles are weak in the Trompette and thus do not balance for the final section. In ALL registrations the player must use h/is/er ears and artistic discretion. It is the adherence to the dots and not always to the registration (even if given by the composer) that for me, should really matter. Sometimes just listen to the music and enjoy. If you play - make what you do utterly convincing and musical. Nobody has a leg to stand on then! If a player felt the urge to play a note with his nose - so be it! We are none the wiser as we sit and hear.

N