Mander Organ Builders Forum

Durham Cathedral 2008

Peter Allison

I tried to find the "Recital" thread, but lost it somehow, but just to say that Timothy Noon of Liverpool Met is playing at Durham on wed 30th July, his programme includes the Giles Swane Riff Raff, which I have only seen programmed once before, and will sound stunning on the H & H organ. and with an acoustic to do it full justice. And the Widor 6th complete. So if you are in the vicinity please do go, I am not getting paid for this promotion, but he has very kindly given me permission to do a private recording :)

Peter

Riff Raff. Snap, Philip Rushforth is playing it at Chester next Thursday (24th), a recital as part of the Chester Music Festival, so unusually for Chester there's an entrance fee. (£8, or £5/£6 for us oldies, not sure which).

I heard Philip play it at leeds town hall a long time ago, but the acoustic did not let it get out like the old recording at blackburn, althouth the playing was superb, as was his rendition of the whitlock sonata at southwell the other week

Peter

Peter Allison - matter of interest I mentioned to Philip that you were impressed with his Whitlock (he doesn't look at this site), he was very pleased that you enjoyed it, and I think as a one off looked at your message, I gave him the link.

• 2 weeks later...

just to say that Tim Noon gave a superb recital on the Harrison organ at Durham last night, and it was well worth the 208 mile round trip just to hear the Giles Swayne Riff Raff. And I had his permision to record the recital, so just to say thanks to Tim, and also James Lancelot for putting together a very well attended evening

Peter