Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bevington

basdav

I am trying to discover how much of the organ I play is by Bevington, it was built in C1842 by that firm in the west gallery of the church, when the chancel was added it was moved to its present position. Over the years many builders have altered the instrument according to the tastes and whims of that particular time, perhaps the worst offender being Nelson of Durham. This work was rectified in the 1980s by Sheffields of Olton. This work included lowering the wind pressures and removing the leathered open from the Great. I am trying to discover what is left of the original organ, did Bevington leave any identifiable markings on his pipework?

I am trying to discover how much of the organ I play is by Bevington, it was built in C1842 by that firm in the west gallery of the church, when the chancel was added it was moved to its present position. Over the years many builders have altered the instrument according to the tastes and whims of that particular time, perhaps the worst offender being Nelson of Durham. This work was rectified in the 1980s by Sheffields of Olton. This work included lowering the wind pressures and removing the leathered open from the Great. I am trying to discover what is left of the original organ, did Bevington leave any identifiable markings on his pipework?

Hi

The British Organ Archive (accessible via the NPOR web site) has some Bevington material available. Go to the BOA tab and enter the town/village that the organ is in and see what comes up. if it's there, an e-mail to the Hon. Archivist should elicit whatever info is in the records that BOA hold - and that may well include the original stop list, etc.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

The British Organ Archive (accessible via the NPOR web site) has some Bevington material available. Go to the BOA tab and enter the town/village that the organ is in and see what comes up. if it's there, an e-mail to the Hon. Archivist should elicit whatever info is in the records that BOA hold - and that may well include the original stop list, etc.

Every Blessing

Tony

Many thanks Tony I looked and drew a blank. I will email you about this.

Every blessing

Barrie