Mander Organ Builders Forum

Notre Dame

RichardDawson91

Hello everyone, hope you are all well, and enjoying your collective summers!

I hope I am not speaking out of place here, by wishing Paul Carr (very well known forum member, and marvellous organist!) all the best for his recital at Notre Dame Cathedral this Sunday! His programme looks to make for wonderful listening, and I hope he enjoys it as much as he has been looking forward to it!

Good luck Paul!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone, hope you are all well, and enjoying your collective summers!

I hope I am not speaking out of place here, by wishing Paul Carr (very well known forum member, and marvellous organist!) all the best for his recital at Notre Dame Cathedral this Sunday! His programme looks to make for wonderful listening, and I hope he enjoys it as much as he has been looking forward to it!

Good luck Paul!

Thank you!

I really did enjoy it as much as I expected, it's a fabulous building, space and instrument! Rehearsing and really getting to know the instrument, which I've heard for so many years from downstairs and the tribune, from 11pm until 2.30am on the Friday before was incredible. It did produce a 'hangover' style head the next day though!!

And... GT-B's Elegy worked like a dream, many people commenting on how 'English' the ND organ can sound!

P.

:P

And... GT-B's Elegy worked like a dream, many people commenting on how 'English' the ND organ can sound!

Precisely, and this is where the last restoration went so badly wrong. Not only do you suffer the barrage of getting into the building in the first place, you then have the dubious pleasure of listening to a larger version of King's College Cambridge, but without the subtleties that that sometimes beautiful instrument can offer.

Best to ignore the place and journey across river to a church and organ that is so infinitely better than this frankly cattlemarket of a tourist trap.