Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. John's Cambridge

P DeVile

Gosh, thanks for that! It in an enormous improvement on the quality of Choral Evensong listen again on the BBC. Do wish the those wretched students would wait till the end of the voluntary, the Elgar is full of sqeaky shoes. Is that the Trompeta Real in the 'ta tumpy tumpy' bits?

The organ sounding magnificent as ever -I find it strange that this instrument doesn't get more mention on the forum, it always blew my socks off.

May I bring to your attention a new website that has been set up by St. John's College Cambridge:

http://www.sjcchoir.co.uk/default.php?page=home

Every Tuesday from midday, you can listen to one of the services from the previous week.

Peter

This is excellent, we are getting worship as intended directly as a web broadcast, and they've gone all the way, if you don't like worship 'intact', you can edit out the bits you don't want to listen to, thanks to the track selection ability of the system. Maybe we will see more Oxbridge Colleges and Cathedrals, and even parish churches doing this in the future. Well done St. John's.

Jonathan

Don't tell anyone, but if you listen to it with Internet Explorer and then go into the Temporary Internet files...... you can find the MP3 files which are a load of numbers and then save to your desktop... or wherever.

Yes, it is the Trompeta Real in the fanfary bits.

When that stop was installed in 1954, it was rather experimental. George Guest had been on sabbatical in Spain and on his return decided that he wanted one of these sticking-out trumpet things. Herbert Norman, having no experience in such stops asked the reed voicer Arthur Rundall what sort of pressure it should be on. Arthur being equally inexperienced in these stops suggested 15 inches wp. These were voiced and installed - at night - as there was so much traffic noise outside. My old friend, who was the voicer's lad was sent up to the all-night tea stall for 2 mugs and as he stood waiting for the brew, he could clearly hear the Trompeta.... from a quarter of a mile away!

It was revoiced to 7 inches, which it is now..

Peter