Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organists' Review

Guest Cynic

I have just really enjoyed spending half an hour with the questionnaire myself. I found the experience overwhelmingly satisfying since I was able to get off my chest what I firmly consider to be problems with the present state of this once-great journal.

Submissions are anonymous, the only indicator of who you are will be your postmark and the name of the Organists' Association to which you belong (if any). I wrote far more on the form than I think they probably wanted, but it's nice to have an opportunity.

If you subscribe to this magazine, please say exactly how you feel - pro or anti. I think there is a fair chance that an actual human being will carefully read what gets sent in. At any rate, I am prepared to believe that anyone working for this journal means well and needs to receive pointers or plaudits.

Hmmm. I have just ceased to subscribe (by not renewing).

The final straw being the lack of ability on their part to take a subscription renewal via online bank transfer. (I suspect it is a misunderstanding about what is involved on their part - but, to my mind, if they want to do business in the present day, then they should be prepared to take subscriptions in ways which match the current conditions.) I no longer use cheques, and told them so.

However, the content has seemed very variable in quality for some time, I think, and I find I can do without it - and, though I recognise that funding has to some extent to come from advertisements, there is a limit to the quantity of such which I wish to turn the page on just to try to find something worth reading. (Doesn't only apply to OR!) In fact, thinking about this, I would rather read something devoid of advertisments, in the form, say, of a pdf, rather than have a physical object delivered by the postman.

I did give up OR for a while, but then it occurred to me that if organists don't lend their support by subscribing, it will go the way of all things. I'm not that keen on OR as it now is, but I renewed the sub because

a. I'd hate to see it go

b. one can always live in hope!

;)

Q

Just to say I have wasted half an hour trying to reply to OR questionair electronically ..... I have no idea if it sent -Ive ended up printing it out ....

Nothing is worse than internet sites that, unlike this discussion board, are badly put together..

Hmmm. I have just ceased to subscribe (by not renewing).

The final straw being the lack of ability on their part to take a subscription renewal via online bank transfer. (I suspect it is a misunderstanding about what is involved on their part - but, to my mind, if they want to do business in the present day, then they should be prepared to take subscriptions in ways which match the current conditions.) I no longer use cheques, and told them so.

However, the content has seemed very variable in quality for some time, I think, and I find I can do without it - and, though I recognise that funding has to some extent to come from advertisements, there is a limit to the quantity of such which I wish to turn the page on just to try to find something worth reading. (Doesn't only apply to OR!) In fact, thinking about this, I would rather read something devoid of advertisments, in the form, say, of a pdf, rather than have a physical object delivered by the postman.

I have just renewed online and managed to achieve this eventually, although I made one or two mistakes. I think that having a 'shopping cart' threw me a bit.

I used to take 'The Organ' as well but, when they ignored my e-mails regarding renewal I didn't bother to pursue the matter.

Just to say I have wasted half an hour trying to reply to OR questionair electronically ..... I have no idea if it sent -Ive ended up printing it out ....

Nothing is worse than internet sites that, unlike this discussion board, are badly put together..

It worked perfectly for me. I was rather impressed. Of course, I did realise after posting it that they would know who had sent it. Hope I haven't blotted my copy book before attending my first Advisory Council meeting!

I have just renewed online and managed to achieve this eventually, although I made one or two mistakes. I think that having a 'shopping cart' threw me a bit.

I used to take 'The Organ' as well but, when they ignored my e-mails regarding renewal I didn't bother to pursue the matter.

My wish was not to renew online and use a credit card, but simply to initiate a bank transfer (i.e. exactly like using a cheque but without bits of paper and postage being involved) - and that was what was refused by their agents, even though I contacted them and offered to put a reference on the transfer to enable them more easily to identify the payment on their bank statements.

Many other organisations happily accept this form of payment.

Along these lines, one wonders why they do not accept such a convenient form of payment as Paypal, in the interests of their subscribers. After all, even the RCO use Worldpay. (I know there is a small commission for Paypal use, but it is not much in the scheme of things.)

I no longer have patience with organisations who would like to take my money, but who do not provide me with convenient options for giving it to them. Since they seem happy to be awkward or to remain with outmoded techniques, I am equally happy no longer to support them financially. (It also means less paper, in the form of the magazine, to be recycled once glanced through.)

It worked perfectly for me. I was rather impressed. Of course, I did realise after posting it that they would know who had sent it. Hope I haven't blotted my copy book before attending my first Advisory Council meeting!

well i think you were lucky - having worked with computers since 1966 - i do not have the time or patience to mess about with sites put together without a sensible user perspective...

Yes. That form technique (using Acrobat) seems to make the survey form rather sensitive to security settings at the client side.

Though, as I said, I have just, effectively, unsubscribed, I thought it worth returning the form (having filled it IN, rather than OUT as it suggests) in order to register my annoyance at the subscription method restriction.

As before, I believe the IAO could put more into it, and largely obviate the need for advertising (and thus, enable more content) by ceasing to print it, and distribute it by pdf.