Mander Organ Builders Forum

Robert Ashfield Triple Chant

nachthorn

There is a magnificent triple chant by Robert Ashfield (in D flat, I think), which John Scott used set to Psalm 2 on the Hyperion psalms discs from St. Paul's. Does anyone know where I can acquire a copy? If at all possible, I need to do so today. All help very gratefully received!

It's in the published St. Paul's Cathedral Psalter. Otherwise, someone at Southwell Minster or Rochester Cathedral may be able to send or direct you towards a copy. It's not originally for Psalm 2 (I think it's for 66 but not quite sure) - the one (by Ashfield) originally for Psalm 2 manages to go from C sharp minor to G/C minor and back again, with a top F sharp in the last phrase!

Paul

DHM may be able to help.

He can indeed help if required.

The chant book used in Ashfield's and Barry Ferguson's time contains two triple chants, as Paul Walton correctly points out: the one originally written for Psalm 2 which is in (sort of) C# (mostly minor), and that for Ps 66 in D major.

In the psalter produced during Roger Sayer's time only the latter chant appears - albeit four times: for Psalms 66, 96, 135 and 146.

Awaiting PM if further help needed.

Douglas

[formerly Senior Lay Clerk, Rochester]

Just to say thank you to DHM and others who made helpful suggestions.

He can indeed help if required.

The chant book used in Ashfield's and Barry Ferguson's time contains two triple chants, as Paul Walton correctly points out: the one originally written for Psalm 2 which is in (sort of) C# (mostly minor), and that for Ps 66 in D major.

In the psalter produced during Roger Sayer's time only the latter chant appears - albeit four times: for Psalms 66, 96, 135 and 146.

Awaiting PM if further help needed.

Douglas

[formerly Senior Lay Clerk, Rochester]

There is a magnificent triple chant by Robert Ashfield (in D flat, I think), which John Scott used set to Psalm 2 on the Hyperion psalms discs from St. Paul's. Does anyone know where I can acquire a copy? If at all possible, I need to do so today. All help very gratefully received!

Nachthorn, I PM'd you yesterday saying that I have copied out this chant and can send it to you.

Did you not received this, I am aware that PM's don't always get through?

David