Mander Organ Builders Forum

Miaow......

DaveHarries

Hi,

I note, from a book called "Cathedral Cats" that Worcester Cathedral has 3 cats (Marmaduke, PJ and Fatcat) and I note that the book informs us that Marmaduke belongs to our good friend Adrian Lucas: there is a great pic of Mamaduke on page 93 and another on page 95. In the light of this, and the fact that on a trip to Gloucester on 14th April I was scratched by Flo who is one of the resident cats of the Cathedral there, I was wondering how many parish churches local to members of this group have resident cats.

Anyone?

Dave

(PS: On page 66 there is a picture of Ivor, the resident cat of Portsmouth Cathedral, sitting on the organ stool supposedly pressing notes on the first manual).

Dave Harries’ enquiry about church cats and his reference to Worcester felines prompts me to tell a little story that may even appeal to Churchmouse. Just before the Three Choirs Festival of 2002, I had chanced to photograph Marmaduke curled up on his favourite sofa at home. He was, in his prime, a large cat, but had been involved in an accident before Adrian and his family acquired him and was tailless, a fact which probably doesn’t show up in the pictures in the book. The sight of Marmaduke fast asleep, as usual, prompted me to produce a formal photograph of him with the title “The Dream of Gerontipuss”. The Festival that year was Wulstan Atkins’ last visit before he died; he was much amused by the picture in Adrian’s front window and a copy was given him.

Sadly, I have to tell you that Marmaduke, too, died recently and thus is no more. He was a truly splendid animal, justly earning the sobriquet “Magnifi-cat”.

David Harrison