Mander Organ Builders Forum

Redundant Organ - Needs Removing Quickly

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

The Vine Baptist Church in Sevenoaks are re-ordering the church and wish to get rid of their pipe organ. It hasn't been used for 10 years (or tuned), but sounds very nice indeed, and is also in surprisingly good tune as well. There are no builders plates, but hesitating a guess, I would think that it might be Bishop. It hasn't been tinkered with tonally, and each stop is a gem. The action is good, the organ being quite easy to play. While it clearly needs restoring, it does not deserve to end up in the skip. It's a block job and cased on all sides.

If you are interested or need further information or photos - email me and I'll let you have details, together with contacts.

Hector

The Vine Baptist Church in Sevenoaks are re-ordering the church and wish to get rid of their pipe organ. It hasn't been used for 10 years (or tuned), but sounds very nice indeed, and is also in surprisingly good tune as well. There are no builders plates, but hesitating a guess, I would think that it might be Bishop. It hasn't been tinkered with tonally, and each stop is a gem. The action is good, the organ being quite easy to play. While it clearly needs restoring, it does not deserve to end up in the skip. It's a block job and cased on all sides.

If you are interested or need further information or photos - email me and I'll let you have details, together with contacts.

Hector

Presumably the one listed at

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...ec_index=D07972

• 3 months later...

There was a report in my local paper last week titled "Encore for a cinema organ" and relates to an "unloved organ" which used to stand in Haringey's Coliseum cinema, and parts of the historic instrument, which is said to have been the first ever organ installed in a cinema in the UK, are now stored in Hall Place, Bexley, Kent.

The museum will offer the organ free to any one as long as they are serious collectors.

Up to now no-one has wanted the organ, and I did write a letter to the paper stating that offering the organ for free, is not really an enticement , because the cost of removal and restoration would cost serious money.

Given the fact that the organ appears to be historic, and it is a pipe organ although designed for the cinema, is there a chance that it might be restored ?

I know there are many pipe organs without homes, and that there is a redundant pipe organ register, but is this suitable for ex-cinema organs ?

I am not aware of the date of manufacture, or the makers name.

Advice please.

Colin Richell

PS I could contact the Cinema theatre Association perhaps.

Given the fact that the organ appears to be historic, and it is a pipe organ although designed for the cinema, is there a chance that it might be restored ?

I know there are many pipe organs without homes, and that there is a redundant pipe organ register, but is this suitable for ex-cinema organs ?

I am not aware of the date of manufacture, or the makers name.

As it happens, although this was one of the earliest pipe organs in a British cinema - being installed I think around 1914 (it probably wasn't the first, but documentation doesn't exist to prove one way or the other) it isn't a 'cinema organ' in any sense other than it was installed in a cinema. When it was removed from the Colisseum, Harringay aound 1980 I seem to remember someone suggesting it might have been by Thomas Jones. It is a 2 manual tracker job with trigger swell, and a not-unattractive pipe front. It has a standard 'church' specification, and in all probability was originally built for a church before being transferred to the cinema.

It would be a very suitable instrument for transfer to a church in need.

S