Mander Organ Builders Forum

Special Order Edition

Guest Cynic

Guest Cynic

About two weeks ago, on the same day, I attended two recitals given respectively by Dr.John Pemberton (Hull City Hall) in Beverley Minster and Carleton Etherington (of Tewkesbury Abbey) at Holy Trinity Hull. In each programme, a particular work caught my ear so I was on to my regular suppliers (no names, but they're in Worcestershire) pretty soon after.

On my return from a little holiday, I found their parcel waiting for me. Efficient, yes certainly - but more to the point, both items were out of print and unlike the bad old days, these two volumes had been produced in double quick time by Novellos using their Special Order Edition arrangements. The copies sent to me are both study copies, very well ring bound. i.e. better than your average in-car atlas. The print is clear and (thank goodness) in original size and format. I wanted to let the forum know that such things exist and that I can thoroughly recommend them. Neither book cost me appreciably more than I imagine an 'in-print' copy would have been, and somewhere not far from the cost of second-hand scores via the well-known guy in Liverpool whose services I also very happily patronise.

It would be good if all publishers could manage this level of service, thank you Novellos!

About two weeks ago, on the same day, I attended two recitals given respectively by Dr.John Pemberton (Hull City Hall) in Beverley Minster and Carleton Etherington (of Tewkesbury Abbey) at Holy Trinity Hull. In each programme, a particular work caught my ear so I was on to my regular suppliers (no names, but they're in Worcestershire) pretty soon after.

On my return from a little holiday, I found their parcel waiting for me. Efficient, yes certainly - but more to the point, both items were out of print and unlike the bad old days, these two volumes had been produced in double quick time by Novellos using their Special Order Edition arrangements. The copies sent to me are both study copies, very well ring bound. i.e. better than your average in-car atlas. The print is clear and (thank goodness) in original size and format. I wanted to let the forum know that such things exist and that I can thoroughly recommend them. Neither book cost me appreciably more than I imagine an 'in-print' copy would have been, and somewhere not far from the cost of second-hand scores via the well-known guy in Liverpool whose services I also very happily patronise.

It would be good if all publishers could manage this level of service, thank you Novellos!

OK Paul, don't tease us! What were the pieces?

P