Mander Organ Builders Forum

Couperin in Oxford

Justadad

http://www.rco.org.uk/events.php?eventid=193 refers

"The 2010 RCO London Organ Forum moves 50 miles west to Oxford to explore the organ music of François Couperin alongside other keyboard and vocal music of the period, and to take advantage of the two new Aubertin organs in St John's College Chapel, which are ideally suited to the repertoire.

"This day of lectures, discussions and concerts will be led by Professor Edward Higginbottom and Terence Charlston, both experts in the field of French Classical Music."

RCO members and non-members are all welcome.

Best wishes

J

Whoopee! A whole £5 discount for RCO members! What an offer.

Seriously, I would actually be quite interested and I'm sure it will be very worthwhile, but having recently paid the RCO £82 just for the annual privilege of receiving a few emails and the ability to log onto their website, there is no way I am going to pay another £25 for this. I realise that there are expenses involved, but I would expect a lot more, if not all of it, to be covered by my annual subscription. Is this really an RCO-initiated event, or an Oxford one with an RCO badge of convenience? Either way it smacks of taking the mickey.

Oh dear. I did not mean to incite controversy. I simply stumbled across the information on the RCO site last night and thought it was worth a wider audience, not least because £30 for a day with Professor Higginbottom on the subject of classical French organ music strikes me as very good value for money indeed.

Best wishes

J

You're right, of course: it is. My moan was more about the differential in cost between members and non-members, i.e. not much advantage in being an RCO member (which, if it's going to carry an RCO badge, there ought to be IMO). Still, at that price it should be affordable by students, which may be the main point.

You're right, of course: it is. My moan was more about the differential in cost between members and non-members, i.e. not much advantage in being an RCO member (which, if it's going to carry an RCO badge, there ought to be IMO). Still, at that price it should be affordable by students, which may be the main point.

=============================

You could stay at home and discover a leaking tap. The plumber would charge you £30 to come and tell you that it requires a rubber washer, price 30p.

A whole day with Couperin for £30, or £240 for a day in the company of your plumber.

MM