Mander Organ Builders Forum

Scorch

Clavecin

Following the recent good advice I received from board members to sort-out PDF creating problems, I thought I would ask for help again.

I have been trying to download Sibelius Scorch free software recently, but have failed miserably.

I either get an error message or the download begins then freezes the whole computer.

I run Sibelius 3 and dowloading files using Scorch, dirctly into Sibelius, will same me several hours of transcribing.

Anyone able to offer advice?

DT

Following the recent good advice I received from board members to sort-out PDF creating problems, I thought I would ask for help again.

I have been trying to download Sibelius Scorch free software recently, but have failed miserably.

I either get an error message or the download begins then freezes the whole computer.

I run Sibelius 3 and dowloading files using Scorch, dirctly into Sibelius, will same me several hours of transcribing.

DT

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I think Sibelius 3 is rather old; you would be well-advised to consider upgrading to the current version. If you stay on 3 there might come a time when your files will be extremely hard to open. More certainly you will get a new computer that won't run the old software.

Scorch: as far as I know this is a method of viewing and printing Sibelius files via the www. It is not a means of transferring the musical data back into Sibelius.

My hunch is that Sibelius 3 is not compatible with the current version of Scorch and that even if it were it wouldn't do what you want it to do.

Best wishes,

Michael

Scorch: as far as I know this is a method of viewing and printing Sibelius files via the www. It is not a means of transferring the musical data back into Sibelius.

I've been using a website called 'scorser.com' which offers you the option of downloading scores as either a midi file, pdf or sibelius file (via scorch). I've been using the pdf version then writing by hand (as it were) into sibelius, I got the impression that a scorch file would open directly into sibelius.

DT

I've been using a website called 'scorser.com' which offers you the option of downloading scores as either a midi file, pdf or sibelius file (via scorch). I've been using the pdf version then writing by hand (as it were) into sibelius, I got the impression that a scorch file would open directly into sibelius.

I don't think so. You may only open Scorch files in a browser (Netscape, Safari, Firefox etc.). As a reader/printer it offers more than midi files or pdf; depending on how it's been distributed you may view/print individual parts and change the key.

The only way you can do what you want is to get the maker of the original Sibelius file to send it you :-)

You can also try importing the midifile into Sibelius. This can be successful or a disastrous failure depending on many factors including the complexity of the music (harmonically and rhythmically) and the settings in Sibelius.

Best of luck,

Michael

I don't think so. You may only open Scorch files in a browser (Netscape, Safari, Firefox etc.). As a reader/printer it offers more than midi files or pdf; depending on how it's been distributed you may view/print individual parts and change the key.

The only way you can do what you want is to get the maker of the original Sibelius file to send it you :-)

You can also try importing the midifile into Sibelius. This can be successful or a disastrous failure depending on many factors including the complexity of the music (harmonically and rhythmically) and the settings in Sibelius.

Best of luck,

Michael

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to continue doing it the long way!

Thanks anyway.

DT

DT

Much depends on the site and how the Scorch file is presented, but Scorch is often simply a web plugin acting as an embedding frame/window to a .sib file. Even without the latest Scorch, if the page hosting the Scorch window has a URL ending, say, /filename.htm then try changing it to /filename.sib as you might just be able to download or 'save as' the underlying Sibelius file. If it is > version 3 (quite likely I'm afraid), then you won't be able to open it with your version of Sibelius.