Mander Organ Builders Forum

durufle requiem

Classic car man

Hi Folks,

Does anyone has experience of the organ part of the original Full orchestral version of the Durufle Requiem - i.e. how difficult it is?

I have been asked to play it but knowing how fiendishly difficult the organ solo arrangement is I am wary of saying yes without knowing what I am letting myself in for!

thanks

My memory has faded since I played the organ part from the the orchestral version in 1995, but I'm pretty sure it's easier, since the orchestra covers much of the faster/fussier bits found in the 'organ only' version. I stand to be corrected, but I think that the relentless semiquaver figuration of the Sanctus is divided between the hands and so less fearsome; the orchestral strings play the sustained chords above it.

Fear not, it is very considerably easier! The main challenges are counting the many bars of rests (which I solve by following the vocal score, marked up with those places where one needs to jump to the organ part) and the usual problems of co-ordinating with an orchestra that may be some distance away, following a conductor who appears an inch high on a TV monitor, and making a rosbif organ sound suitably Gallic.

Fear not, it is very considerably easier! The main challenges are counting the many bars of rests (which I solve by following the vocal score, marked up with those places where one needs to jump to the organ part) and the usual problems of co-ordinating with an orchestra that may be some distance away, following a conductor who appears an inch high on a TV monitor, and making a rosbif organ sound suitably Gallic.

Indeed - having played both versions on a number of occasions.

In particular, as Wolsey says, the Sanctus is rather easier - the LH semiquavers of the organ-only version being divided between the hands. In addition, the third movement Domine, Jesu Christe is less stressful, with the brass taking much of the former RH organ part.

However, it might be advisable to check out the instrument on which it is to be played. Whilst I have a colleague who has accompanied this on the Marcussen instrument in Saint Mary's Church, Nottingham (something which I should not wish to do), a varied palette of tone colours and a plentiful supply of adjustable general pistons are useful.

Worth checking if it's the full orchestra version or the reduced orchestra version. In the reduced orchestra version, the organ part retains quite a lot of the organ only accompaniment (e.g. the Sanctus sextuplets - but divided between the hands). In the full orchestra version, if memory serves, it's more of a standard orchestral organ part i.e. a few chords and rumbles here and there. I seem to recall the flute solo in the In Paradisum is on the organ in all versions.

Paul Walton