Mander Organ Builders Forum

Avoiding page turns

Brizzle

As per my post that describes how I do page turns on my home practice organ (see photo earlier in this thread), you could potentially have two identical tablets (13 inch is an easier size to read music than the ubiquitous 10 inch). Put them next to each other on the stand, open the same score on both and set up a Bluetooth page turner (such as my beloved Donner, inexpensive and bombproof reliability). Then here's the clever bit, advance the right hand tablet by one page. Every time you then press the page turner, both tablets advance the score by one page, so you always have the latest page on the right and the previous page on the left. No more awkward page turns, and tricky passages that previously ran over a page turn go across the centre fold.

The catch is you would need someone to press the page turner button unless you are playing at Kings College Cambridge Chapel which has a tablet page turn advance thumb piston. Trust me, every new organ should have one.

42 minutes ago, Contrabombarde said:

As per my post that describes how I do page turns on my home practice organ (see photo earlier in this thread), you could potentially have two identical tablets (13 inch is an easier size to read music than the ubiquitous 10 inch). Put them next to each other on the stand, open the same score on both and set up a Bluetooth page turner (such as my beloved Donner, inexpensive and bombproof reliability). Then here's the clever bit, advance the right hand tablet by one page. Every time you then press the page turner, both tablets advance the score by one page, so you always have the latest page on the right and the previous page on the left. No more awkward page turns, and tricky passages that previously ran over a page turn go across the centre fold.

The catch is you would need someone to press the page turner button unless you are playing at Kings College Cambridge Chapel which has a tablet page turn advance thumb piston. Trust me, every new organ should have one.

There are some apps that will allow you to link two tablets together in just this way – I know forScore does (but only with the purchase of an extra Cue app). One acts as the master which connects to the pageturning device via bluetooth as well as controlling the slave. I don’t know if they use the method you describe for presenting the pages, or present them as if in a conventional bound copy, or even allow you the option to choose. 

On 30/09/2020 at 00:44, S_L said:

As a pianist/organist I hate someone looking over my shoulder.

I used to play the postludes at a local church, well one day an older lady I knew named Betty- a real sweatheart! was seated near me and had to walk past my back to exit, let me tell you I was NOT prrepared at all for the two congratulatory hands firmly coming down together on my shoulders with a booming "GREAT JOB!!!" it totally threw me off, I lost my place in the music and things wend downhill from there LOL! at least it was just the postlude!