Mander Organ Builders Forum

Robert Munns

sjf1967

Sad to report to forum members that Robert Munns died recently. A great champion of British repertoire - he premiered the Kenneth Leighton Concerto, for example -  and one of that breed of versatile and musically broadly-read organists who did so much for the instrument in their generation. Also a fine and wise teacher; I was lucky to come into his orbit at a formative stage, and I owe him much. RIP.

He is mentioned in the book “Wednesdays at 5.55, Organ Recitals at the RFH” as an innovative player.  His recital in 1972 included the ‘Dorian’ Toccata and Fugue in D minor and Johann Krebs’ Trio in C minor (then more usually attributed to Bach).  Not ‘contemporary’ music, but could probably be considered missionary repertoire at that date. Pierre Cochereau, no less, withdrew from giving a recital two weeks later on the strength of Robert Munns’ getting in first with his performance of the ‘Dorian’ which Cochereau had also planned in his programme.

I only heard Robert Munns play ‘live’ once at the 1963 reopening of the Walker organ, rebuilt by Kingsgate Davidson, in St Giles’ Church, Ashtead, Surrey - the first organ I had ever played while at school in the 1950s.  I have a feeling he may have had some personal family connection with Ashtead, but can’t find details of his earliest years.  He held a number of important church appointments, including Holy Trinity, Brompton, alongside his extensive teaching and recital performances.  He held diplomas of the RCM, RAM, RCO and TCL.