Mander Organ Builders Forum

Quick query

Martin Cooke

Slightly random this, but does anyone recall seeing a particular online post somewhere which was about a notice in the UK church which was addressed to visitors to encourage a quiet appraisal of various aspects of the building?  Amongst other suggestions is said something like... "Listen to the organ... even if it isn't playing!" I'd love to re-read the whole thing if it were available anywhere. Does it ring a bell?

Thank you - it struck me as very beautiful, exactly the sort of thing that poetry can convey whereas prose cannot.  Poetry, like music, seems to be able to connect directly with the mind.

So different from a GCSE-level school poetry book I was reading the other day which, eventually, I had to close.  Virtually every single poem up to that point had been about death, war, disaster, accidents (including one where a boy accidentally sawed his arm off with a chainsaw - poetry buffs will know which one) - and so on.  It certainly explained why poets are often seen as miserable!  But to present young minds with such an unleavened diet rather shocked me and left me wondering what motivates those shadowy, but no doubt trendy, educationalists who design school syllabuses.