Mander Organ Builders Forum

William Byrd

iy45

Byrd’s death occurred on 4th July 1623, not 5th April (that date, which in any event has already passed, is something of a puzzle?).  

Evensong on 4th July will be sung by the Choristers and Lay Vicars of the Cathedral with the Tallis Scholars.

Isn’t “Sing joyfully” based on Psalm 81?  Byrd was Master of the Choristers at Lincoln 1563-1572.  This link may be of interest:

https://lincolncathedral.com/byrd-400-festival/

Edited by Rowland Wateridge
Correction of memorial service singers

On 27/06/2023 at 12:07, iy45 said:

Radio 3 Choral Evensong from Lincoln Cathedral on 5th April marks the 400th Anniversary of Byrd's death.

I wonder who thought it appropriate that the introit be Byrd's "Sing Joyfully".

Ian

Although it’s an anniversary of someone’s death I think we may now sing joyfully that Byrd’s music is known, performed and loved by millions of people around the world so many centuries after it was written. The introit may also refer to the Feast of St Thomas celebrated on July 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...

During the preceding few days, there was a superb set of Byrd events. The academic Symposium, of course, and also the cathedral choir singing CEvensong with the choir of Merton Oxford, and on the dedication of a memorial stone in the choir the cathedral choir singing with the Tallis Scholars - and a concert at 9pm the same evening, with the same forces. The whole seemed to me to be very well organised, and the performances went extremely well. Lincoln did their former organist of 1563 to 1572 proud.

• 2 months later...
On 08/07/2023 at 02:28, David.Dewar said:

During the preceding few days, there was a superb set of Byrd events. The academic Symposium, of course, and also the cathedral choir singing CEvensong with the choir of Merton Oxford, and on the dedication of a memorial stone in the choir the cathedral choir singing with the Tallis Scholars - and a concert at 9pm the same evening, with the same forces. The whole seemed to me to be very well organised, and the performances went extremely well. Lincoln did their former organist of 1563 to 1572 proud.

Hello David - might you be the same David Dewar who preceded me at All Saints, Kings Heath?