Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cocker Tuba Tune - a query

Martin Cooke

I've just been re-reading the latter parts of Francis Jackson's book, Music for a Long While. On page p402, he speaks of a recording of the piece by Stanley Marchant. FJ says that Marchant introduces a suspended D into the last chord of page 3 of the score, which he himself felt inclined to mimic. The last chord of my page 3 in the usual (only?) edition of the piece by Stainer and Bell, doesn't seem a likely place to introduce a suspended D. Can anyone possibly throw any light on this?

5 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

I've just been re-reading the latter parts of Francis Jackson's book, Music for a Long While. On page p402, he speaks of a recording of the piece by Stanley Marchant. FJ says that Marchant introduces a suspended D into the last chord of page 3 of the score, which he himself felt inclined to mimic. The last chord of my page 3 in the usual (only?) edition of the piece by Stainer and Bell, doesn't seem a likely place to introduce a suspended D. Can anyone possibly throw any light on this?

Ah, yes... I get it now, having listened to FJ's recording of it. Never noticed that before! (But I don't think it's that big a deal, tbh!!