Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mount St Bernards, Leicester

SomeChap

Does anyone on this forum know anything about the organ imported in 2014 from Munich to Mount St Bernard, the Cistercian Abbey in Leicestershire?

Someone I know plays there occasionally but has struggled with it, and I felt as though I ought to be able to give some advice as to repertoire,registration etc. I didn't want to press him for details, but I wondered if I could help him more by knowing what he's up against! I'm guessing it's a neo-baroque job because one complaint was that there's no Swell pedal, but don't know any more than that.

Google not much good and NPOR not updated yet - any other leads much appreciated!

SC

I went to None (it might have been Sext!) there twice (prior to 2014) - I have to say that, on both occasions, it wasn't very inspiring and, both times, was accompanied by the Abbot - playing a guitar! I told a Priest friend and he said that he had had a similar experience! I shall be in the UK and in the area around Toussaint and will try to pay a visit.

The church, from the congregation seating seems vast and, if my memory serves me correctly, has a considerable echo. I would imagine a carefully voiced neo-classical instrument would sound very fine in there.