Mander Organ Builders Forum

Sydney Town Hall

heva

I agree, it is an absolutely fantastic organ. In my opinion, one of the best with Barker Lever action.

If you have a look here you can find some more info about it.

There it says that only the Great is mechanical with Barker levers, the rest being tubular. I thought that was what I remembered. The action appears to be excellent though, no comparison with the tubular actions you got from German builders of the same time.

Best,

Friedrich

There it says that only the Great is mechanical with Barker levers, the rest being tubular. I thought that was what I remembered. The action appears to be excellent though, no comparison with the tubular actions you got from German builders of the same time.

Best,

Friedrich

Wait a minute.....Sauer's and Gebrüder Link's pneumatic actions, to my knowledge,

were exactly as good !

Pierre

I agree - some organ - any of you planning on visiting Sydney, if you get in touch with the Town Hall far enough in advance they're very accomodating.

For those already here Kurt Ison (he of the above clip) is giving a recital on Wednesday 22nd august at 1.15pm at St, James', cnr King/Phillip Streets, Sydney. Following the recital, pre choir practice lunch/drinks will take place at the Buena Vista Cafe, 14th Floor of NSW Supreme Court. All welcome.

I visited Sydney towards the end of last year and heard this magnificent concert organ. Its overall integrity is something to be marvelled at - rather more impressive than some of the concert instruments closer to home. :lol:

I have been there in 2000, and have been extremely kindly welcomed by Mr Wagner, from Sydney.

I had the occasion to play, and to spend the whole afternoon with him, rehearsing and making registrations for his next concert.

As he knew the organ quite well, I heard many solutions for each piece, and it was fascinating.

This organ is fan-tas-tic, as well as its interaction with the hall.

The 64' reed actually emits true musical tones, and its effect is incredible under the half tutti (with the tutti, it blurs a little bit)

The organ gathers many european flavours : England, of course, but also Germany, the Netherlands, and even France for certain reeds....

This is obviously one of the nicest organs in the world, in the very top of the basket, and should as a minimum be put on the UNESCO list....!

Its is also very nicely restored and maintained, and fantastically tuned, depite of the big number of unisons.

I could write a whole book about it !