Mander Organ Builders Forum

Grandad Speaks

john carter

I have just realised that it is almost an hour since our new member, Vox Humana 8', has upset, annoyed, offended or insulted anyone. In welcoming this young man and his unbounded enthusiasm, may I suggest he considers the feelings of others before contributing. I know I am an ageing fuddy-duddy (and a numpty to boot - as innate so kindly reminded me the other week B) ), but one of the best things about this discussion forum is the polite way in which business is conducted. So please, VH8, pipe down a bit and your opinions are more likely to be taken seriously.

JC

I have just realised that it is almost an hour since our new member, Vox Humana 8', has upset, annoyed, offended or insulted anyone. In welcoming this young man and his unbounded enthusiasm, may I suggest he considers the feelings of others before contributing. I know I am an ageing fuddy-duddy (and a numpty to boot - as innate so kindly reminded me the other week B) ), but one of the best things about this discussion forum is the polite way in which business is conducted. So please, VH8, pipe down a bit and your opinions are more likely to be taken seriously.

JC

John, whilst I appreciate your sensitivities, let us give our newest member a chance. We have already requested that he change his pseudonym - to which entreaty he acceded readily. Now he is being castigated for bad language - which is fair enough. However, I suspect that he will soon learn the ways of this board.

Those of us who have the privilege of working with young people will realise that the epithet which VH8 chose to employ was actually rather mild - others have written worse here.

With regard to the comments he made concerning the Tickell organ at St. Barnabas, East Dulwich, I cannot comment, since I have not played this instrument (or heard it in the building for which it was designed). However, I have played the instruments at Honiton Parish Church and Sherborne Abbey - the first, a new instrument by Tickell and the second, rebuilt by him. I have already posted my thoughts concerning these two organs. Suffice it to say that I was distinctly unimpressed. I thought that tonally they were rather poor. I am happy to go into details again, if any other contributor so desires.

Naturally, this is not to detract from the fine clip which Justadad kindly linked to this board. I was impressed by the quality of Lawrence's playing, regardless of the sound of the instrument.

To VH8 - if you play on (or have any knowledge of) Runescape, the rules here are similar. Simply try to avoid profanity, try to keep written opinions moderate and never, ever mention nuns.

Oh, and mine's a pint of Smirnoff Silver Label, thank you very much....

B)

John, whilst I appreciate your sensitivities, let us give our newest member a chance. We have already requested that he change his pseudonym - to which entreaty he acceded readily. Now he is being castigated for bad language - which is fair enough. However, I suspect that he will soon learn the ways of this board.

B)

Point taken, pcnd.

JC

TONGUE IN CHEEK ALERT - OIL ON TROUBLED WATER ALERT

My experience with Vox Humanas is that they (being entirely compromised with their lack of resonator) are apt to 'fly off' and make the odd nasty noise, for which they can generally be forgiven...... surely.....

Maybe his resonator just needs capping, slightly!

TONGUE IN CHEEK ALERT - OIL ON TROUBLED WATER ALERT

My experience with Vox Humanas is that they (being entirely compromised with their lack of resonator) are apt to 'fly off' and make the odd nasty noise, for which they can generally be forgiven...... surely.....

Maybe his resonator just needs capping, slightly!

==========================

What is a nun's favourite tune?

The Black & White rag of course!

There ya go....I mentioned nuns!!!!!

B)

MM

Guest Voix Mystique

Those of us who have the privilege of working with young people will realise that the epithet which VH8 chose to employ was actually rather mild - others have written worse here.

With regard to the comments he made concerning the Tickell organ at St. Barnabas, East Dulwich, I cannot comment, since I have not played this instrument (or heard it in the building for which it was designed). However, I have played the instruments at Honiton Parish Church and Sherborne Abbey - the first, a new instrument by Tickell and the second, rebuilt by him. I have already posted my thoughts concerning these two organs. Suffice it to say that I was distinctly unimpressed. I thought that tonally they were rather poor. I am happy to go into details again, if any other contributor so desires.

Naturally, this is not to detract from the fine clip which Justadad kindly linked to this board. I was impressed by the quality of Lawrence's playing, regardless of the sound of the instrument.

To VH8 - if you play on (or have any knowledge of) Runescape, the rules here are similar. Simply try to avoid profanity, try to keep written opinions moderate and never, ever mention nuns.

Oh, and mine's a pint of Smirnoff Silver Label, thank you very much....

:huh:

What's this about nuns? To the best of my knowledge, I have not mentioned nuns once... please show me where you have seen this!

What's this about nuns? To the best of my knowledge, I have not mentioned nuns once... please show me where you have seen this!

No, you did not mention nuns (until now). There is a running (and fairly sad) joke concerning our wimpled sisters of mercy, which has cropped-up occasionally.

Again, with regard to one of your posts today, I would advise strongly that you refrain from what could easily be construed as a lack of respect to other board members.

Of course we welcome new members - be they young or old - but, in return, it is quite reasonable to expect a certain level of restraint and common courtesy.

:rolleyes:

Point taken, pcnd.

JC

Apparently I was mistaken.

Ah well.... I am a trusting soul at heart.

============================

Any reference to the "n" word must be restricted to "The sisters of perpetual indulgence." Anything else is just a bad habit.

The much lamented "Leathered Lips" would have initiated you into the proper and correct ways of the board, but alas, he/she is no more. Rumour has it that he/she was dragged overboard while using fishnet stockings to trawl for cod. It was a very messy and abrupt end apparently.

It would probably be best not to model your choice of words on the likes of Joe Orton or Philip Larkin, because they became famous and could therefore get away with it.

MM

============================

Any reference to the "n" word must be restricted to "The sisters of perpetual indulgence." Anything else is just a bad habit.

The much lamented "Leathered Lips" would have initiated you into the proper and correct ways of the board, but alas, he/she is no more. Rumour has it that he/she was dragged overboard while using fishnet stockings to trawl for cod. It was a very messy and abrupt end apparently.

It would probably be best not to model your choice of words on the likes of Joe Orton or Philip Larkin, because they became famous and could therefore get away with it.

MM

The problem with message boards and web forums (? fora) is that however often we visit and/or post comments, we simply don't know many of our virtual sparring partners in the 'real' world. While I join pcnd in wishing Voix Mystique well, even if he were the greatest organist who ever lived (and JSB has that one taped) he would still be a newcomer. Even if he agreed with many fellow contributors there are always (as the rest of us know) one or two with deliberately contrary views for the sake of a good argument! Whatever you write, nobody wins - but nobody should be trying to win.

I think the Mander Discussion Site is a truly wonderful place to share information, swap stories (keeping just the right side of the law of libel) and ask for help. None of us want it to be a place where antagonisms are stirred up. I've belonged for a couple of years now, and have seen a couple of those sort of contributors given the 'heave-ho' and frankly was not sorry to see them go.

I suggest VM asks us questions and posts his comments but does not expect our opinions to tally. Reading between the lines, I would guess that VM is still school/college age - let's be frank, at that age the last thing you want to do is agree with people much older that you! However, please indulge us oldies... we can still be of use and many of us share your serious obsession with Organs.