Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fitting Huge Organs Into Small Places

Guest Lee Blick

This is squeezed rather ingeniously into a 'difficult' shaped chamber in a smallish church. The whole effect however is surprisingly good - not only for 'repertoire' but also for the High Anglican liturgical effects required here.

AJJ

According to the specification the wind pressures range from 2 to 15 pounds per square inch - now that is impressive!!

Perhaps that's why the Vox Humana needs to be enclosed in so many swell boxes ...

According to the specification the wind pressures range from 2 to 15 pounds per square inch - now that is impressive!!

Perhaps that's why the Vox Humana needs to be enclosed in so many swell boxes ...

Jack Bethards from Schoenstein is a bit of a genius in my opinion - despite the unconventional appearance of some of the specs. etc. the instruments are all in the best possible taste and on CD at least sound quite superb.

AJJ

Jack Bethards from Schoenstein is a bit of a genius in my opinion - despite the unconventional appearance of some of the specs. etc. the instruments are all in the best possible taste and on CD at least sound quite superb.

AJJ

The details must surely be inaccurate in giving the length of the largest pipe as 18.5 feet - particularly since it is also apparently two feet square. For an Open Wood, this is a monster scale - bigger even than the example by Bishop, currently masquerading under the name 'Flute 16', on the Pedal Organ at Gloucester Cathedral. Since the Schoenstein organ has a Double Open Wood, a Contra Gamba, and a Contra Bombarde, all at 32p pitch, I suggest that the details are either incorrect - or they are not telling us about the Pedal stops which are produced by electronic means.

I have scanned the specification and I can see no mention of any electronic Pedal stops. However, the bell has just sounded for the next lesson, so perhaps in my haste I have overlooked something.

The details must surely be inaccurate in giving the length of the largest pipe as 18.5 feet - particularly since it is also apparently two feet square. For an Open Wood, this is a monster scale - bigger even than the example by Bishop, currently masquerading under the name 'Flute 16', on the Pedal Organ at Gloucester Cathedral. Since the Schoenstein organ has a Double Open Wood, a Contra Gamba, and a Contra Bombarde, all at 32p pitch, I suggest that the details are either incorrect - or they are not telling us about the Pedal stops which are produced by electronic means.

I have scanned the specification and I can see no mention of any electronic Pedal stops. However, the bell has just sounded for the next lesson, so perhaps in my haste I have overlooked something.

Ahhhhhh - bliss! I have played this organ on a trip to Washington. It's great fun and in a tiny church, seating probably only 300. All the 32s are digital as are the chimes, and the organ is really packed in. This organ is a real Rolls-Royce and great fun to play, with never-ending cresecendos and capable of some extraordinary effects. Bethards is a real genius and such a nice chap too.

AJJ

I absolutely agree - I have heard several examples of his work which, on paper, look strange to say the least but which are extremely effective in real life.

The point that I was getting at was that the specification quotes the wind pressures as being in "pounds per square inch" rather than "inches" (of water) which I find rather unlikely given that 1 psi is rather more than 25 inches and this would mean that the instrument had a range of pressure from approximately 50 inches to about 375 inches ....

The point that I was getting at was that the specification quotes the wind pressures as being in "pounds per square inch" rather than "inches" (of water) which I find rather unlikely given that 1 psi is rather more than 25 inches and this would mean that the instrument had a range of pressure from approximately 50 inches to about 375 inches ....

Just over 415 inches actually, mustn't do down our American cousins, I doubt even our very own Henry Willis would have managed to keep the Ophicleides from shooting straight through the roof at that pressure. Perhaps, as this organ is close to the White House, certain stops are used as a defence mechanism to shoot down any incoming enemy Flachflöte.