Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Martin, Lower Bourne, Farnham

Jonathan Lane

Hi Tony

Sorry to be a bore but can you supply the page number for the Swansea job please. I don't recognise it and can't find it in the index. Thanks

PJW

Hi

p.177 - just a very brief mention towards the bottom of the page (in the firms last days).

Many thanks. Perhaps we could persuade a board member in/near Swansea to document it for the NPOR so we know what its spec is?

PJW

Hi Tony

Sorry to be a bore but can you supply the page number for the Swansea job please. I don't recognise it and can't find it in the index. Thanks

PJW

Hi

p.177 - just a very brief mention towards the bottom of the page (in the firms last days).

Many thanks. Perhaps we could persuade a board member in/near Swansea to document it for the NPOR so we know what its spec is?

PJW

Hi

Good idea assuming it's still there. Any offers?

There are downloadable survey forms on the NPOR web-site.

Every Blessing

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Barry Williams

I have just noticed that St Martin's Farnham is referred to in Mr Forsyth-Grant's book as being in Hampshire.

Farnham is in Surrey. The entry (on page 136) refers to Mr John Foss as being organist of Farnham Parish Church which I have always thought of as being St Andrew's, St Martin's being the daughter church.

Have we all been thinking of the wrong place?

Barry Williams

I have just noticed that St Martin's Farnham is referred to in Mr Forsyth-Grant's book as being in Hampshire.

Farnham is in Surrey. The entry (on page 136) refers to Mr John Foss as being organist of Farnham Parish Church which I have always thought of as being St Andrew's, St Martin's being the daughter church.

Have we all been thinking of the wrong place?

Barry Williams

St. Martin's, is strictly in Lower Bourne and is the daughter church of St. Thomas-on-The Bourne (hence my interest). St. Thomas is not the parish church of Farnham, St. Andrew's is. St. Thomas is the parish church of The Bourne, a suburb of Farnham, although I suspect they wouldn't like being called a suburb! In my understanding Farnham is and always has been in Surrey (just - the boundary with Hampshire is about half a mile outside the town boundary.) GD&B did build an organ at 'our' St. Martin's Lower Bourne, and John Foss was organist of St. Thomas-on-The Bourne. Methinks Mr Forsyth-Grant got his boundary wrong.

Jonathan

Guest Barry Williams
St. Martin's, is strictly in Lower Bourne and is the daughter church of St. Thomas-on-The Bourne (hence my interest). St. Thomas is not the parish church of Farnham, St. Andrew's is. St. Thomas is the parish church of The Bourne, a suburb of Farnham, although I suspect they wouldn't like being called a suburb! In my understanding Farnham is and always has been in Surrey (just - the boundary with Hampshire is about half a mile outside the town boundary.) GD&B did build an organ at 'our' St. Martin's Lower Bourne, and John Foss was organist of St. Thomas-on-The Bourne. Methinks Mr Forsyth-Grant got his boundary wrong.

Jonathan

This looks like one of the many 'post town' errors of the GPO/Royal Mail that enable so many people to get away with 'Gatso' camera fines!

Barry Williams